Navigate Up

  • Learn more about our facility.
  • Learn more about UPMC CancerCenter's 30 years in the fight against cancer.
  • Watch Connie's story and learn more about the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute.
  • Learn more about UPMC's ranking on U.S. News and World Report.
Online Chat
Learn more about Preventing Senior Falls on HealthBeat.

Medical Mondays – Watch a Video on Preventing Falls Among Seniors

Falls are the most common cause of injury in older adults. In some cases, a seemingly minor fall can lead to serious injuries and even require long-term care. Following a few simple steps can help prevent up to two-thirds of falls.

Visit HealthBeat to learn more about preventing senior falls and read similar articles, including:

Learn more about Tom's experience with the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute.

Tom’s Atrial Fibrillation Care at the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute

As an active father of seven, Tom was surprised to learn he had atrial fibrillation, or AFib, during a routine check-up. After a recommendation from his sister, a manager in UPMC Shadyside’s electrophysiology clinic, Tom visited Samir Saba, MD, for an evaluation.

Dr. Saba recommended a noninvasive procedure using electrical shock to normalize Tom’s heart rhythm initially. After a few weeks, Tom’s shortness of breath and fatigue had returned and Dr. Saba considered further options. In December of 2014, Tom underwent a catheter-based ablation — a minimally invasive surgical procedure. Thanks to excellent surgical techniques and full explanations of what to expect, Tom feels great now almost a full year later.

Learn more about Tom’s AFib story and the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute.

Learn more about the UPMC Thryoid Center.

A Multidisciplinary Approach to Thyroid Conditions

The thyroid gland is located in the base of your throat. This gland serves the important function of producing hormones to regulate body temperature and energy levels. Thyroid disease and thyroid cancers can affect the thyroid gland when nodules — lumps of tissue — form.

About 90 percent of nodules in the thyroid are non-cancerous, leaving 10 percent as cancerous. The best way to prevent disease or cancer in the thyroid is to undergo a neck exam by your doctor at least once a year.

At UPMC, the Multidisciplinary Thyroid Center unites professionals from a variety of specialties, including:

  • Pathology
  • Radiology
  • Endocrinology
  • Surgery

Learn more about the services we offer at UPMC’s Thyroid Center.

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter Instagram YouTube Linked in UPMC Blog
Email this page Tweet this page Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Reddit
Log in or sign up for MyUPMC.

©  UPMC | Affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences
Supplemental content provided by Healthwise, Incorporated. To learn more, visit

For help in finding a doctor or health service that suits your needs, call the UPMC Referral Service at 412-647-UPMC (8762) or 1-800-533-UPMC (8762). Select option 1.

UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. UPMC policy prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected group status. Further, UPMC will continue to support and promote equal employment opportunity, human dignity, and racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity. This policy applies to admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in UPMC programs and activities. This commitment is made by UPMC in accordance with federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.

Medical information made available on is not intended to be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. You should not rely entirely on this information for your health care needs. Ask your own doctor or health care provider any specific medical questions that you have. Further, is not a tool to be used in the case of an emergency. If an emergency arises, you should seek appropriate emergency medical services.

For UPMC Mercy Patients: As a Catholic hospital, UPMC Mercy abides by the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services, as determined by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. As such, UPMC Mercy neither endorses nor provides medical practices and/or procedures that contradict the moral teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA