Is It An Eating Disorder?
Eating disorders are serious, potentially life-threatening, medical conditions that affect both physical and emotional health.
People with eating disorders often have:
- Abnormal eating patterns or dieting behaviors
- Obsessive thoughts about food, body shape, or weight
- Psychological problems, such as depression or anxiety
Common Eating Disorders
- Refusal or inability to maintain a normal body weight
- Preoccupation with body size and shape
- Recurrent episodes of binge eating
- Inappropriate behaviors, such as self-induced vomiting
- Dissatisfaction with body size and shape
|Binge Eating Disorder (BED)
- Recurrent binge eating without behaviors to undo the effects of binge eating
- Repeated, unsuccessful dieting
- Disgust, embarrassment, or guilt about overeating
The good news is that eating disorders are treatable.
Learn more about the UPMC Center for Eating Disorders treatment program and how it can help you, or a loved one, regain control.