Physician Interviews About Patient Blood Management
- Patient Blood Management and Hip/Knee Surgery: Michael R. Pagnotto, MD, is a fellowship-trained specialist in hip and knee replacement surgery with Tri-State Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, Inc. Dr. Pagnotto performs surgery at UPMC Passavant and UPMC St. Margaret. Read this interview to learn more about how Dr. Pagnotto uses patient blood management in orthopaedic surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Thoracic, Esophageal, and Lung Surgery: Ghulam Abbas, MD, chair of the Department of Surgery at UPMC Passavant, specializes in thoracic, esophageal, and lung surgery. Read his interview focusing on options in blood transfusion and minimally invasive surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Urology Issues: Patients who refuse blood transfusions can find skilled and compassionate care for their urological needs at UPMC.
- Patient Blood Management and Orthopaedic Surgery Issues: Patients who cannot accept blood transfusions are treated with a variety of techniques to reduce surgical blood loss in orthopaedic surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiology: Patients that cannot be transfused can find respectful care for their cardiology concerns at UPMC.
- Patient Blood Management and Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery: Bloodless medicine and surgery is an option for patients who may be considering minimally invasive gynecologic surgery. Patients who cannot be transfused can find respectful care at UPMC.
- Blood Management in the 21st century: The importance of teamwork: In a recent article, Anthony DiGioia, MD, and Brian Hamlin, MD, physicians at the Orthopaedic Program at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC discuss the impact of transfusion and the use of packed red blood cells as they relate to total joint arthroplasty.
- Patient Blood Management and Surgical Oncology: Kandace McGuire, MD, of the department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC discusses the treatment of surgical oncology patients who refuse blood products.
- Patient Blood Management and Perfusion: Robert Dyga, RN, corporate director at Procirca, discusses the role of a perfusionist, the reasons a surgical patient may decide against receiving blood from another person, blood recovery, and other autologous techniques.
- Patient Blood Management and Colorectal Issues: David Medich, MD, discusses the benefits of having a colonoscopy and how this type of screening is available for individuals who can and cannot accept blood transfusions.
- Patient Blood Management and Gynecologic Oncology: Joseph L. Kelley, MD, gynecologic oncologist at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC reviews patients' options when choosing services and treatment of conditions including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, cervical and vaginal cancer, and trophoblastic disease.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiac Surgery: UPMC physicians, Giovanni Speziali, MD, and Chris Cook, MD, discuss advances in providing treatment to patients who require the avoidance of blood and blood product transfusions during cardiac surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Plastic Surgery: Sandeep Kathju, MD, is a plastic surgeon at UPMC Passavant. In an interview, Dr. Kathju, discusses the importance of reducing blood loss during surgery, especially during plastic surgical procedures, and how this may have a positive affect on the healing process.