The Fraxel laser is a minimally ablative “fractionated” laser that resurfaces the skin and treats:
- Scars from acne or surgery
- Sun damage
- Melasma (brown patches, usually on the face)
- The effects of aging, including age spots and wrinkles
How it Works
Unlike other lasers that ablate (vaporize at a high temperature) the top layer of skin, Fraxel penetrates skin below the surface and stimulates the production of collagen and new skin cells.
Then, the body replaces damaged skin with fresh, healthy skin.
Treatments can last between 10 and 90 minutes, depending on your specific condition.
Results of Fraxel Laser Treatments
- It normally takes four to six Fraxel treatments for maximum results.
- Immediate results after healing include softer, brighter, even-toned skin.
- Between three and six months after treatment, your skin will continue to improve as deeper layers of skin heal.
Side Effects of Fractional Laser Treatments
Depending on the aggressiveness of treatment and your own skin’s healing ability, you may experience side effects such as:
- A sunburn sensation
Other temporary side effects may include:
- Minor itching
- Dry skin
- Peeling or flaking
- Bronzed skin appearance
Fraxel is a registered trademark of Solta Medical, Inc.