The Center for Mitral Valve Disease
The Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI) Center for Mitral Valve Disease is a dedicated multidisciplinary team of specialized cardiac surgeons, cardiologists, anesthesiologists, and nurses focused on providing patients and their physicians with access to the most advanced mitral valve therapy available.
Our goal is to provide advanced, minimally invasive therapies; to provide early access to the very latest technologies as they become available; and to return patients promptly to the comfort of their home environments and referring physicians through comprehensive communication.
Our team of experts in cardiac imaging, intervention and surgery offers comprehensive advanced diagnosis and treatment options including:
- 3D echo/MRI/CT imaging
- Catheter-based intervention
- Complex mitral surgery, including state-of-the-art minimally invasive non-sternotomy approaches.
- Mitral valve regurgitation and mitral valve replacement
Symptoms of Mitral Valve Disease
Symptoms of mitral valve disease often can be subtle, and include:
- Decreased exercise capacity
- Early fatigue
- Activity-induced cough
- Other signs of heart failure
| Mitral regurgitation
- Early minimally invasive surgical mitral valve repair
- Advanced complex reconstructive and repair techniques practiced in the Center allow for repair in over 90 percent of all cases of degenerative disease
|Mitral regurgitation with underlying conditions
- For patients who are not suitable surgical candidates, catheter-based devices, such as the Mitraclip®, have been shown to provide significant benefit
- Catheter-based mitral valvuloplasty, which has been shown to be as effective in improving patient symptoms and quality of life as more invasive surgical procedures