VAD Implantation – Information for Referring Physicians
We value our relationships with our heart failure patients’ primary care doctors and cardiologists because we recognize it takes a coordinated approach to provide optimal care, before and after surgery.
When we communicate and collaborate, the result is better care.
Which Patients Should be Referred for Evaluation?
Persistent symptoms, despite good medical therapy
Admissions for heart failure – more than one in the past six months
- Inability to walk one block
- Breathless walking room to room
- Inability to tolerate ACE/ARB and beta-blockers
- Progressively increasing diuretic doses
Non-responder to CRT-D and NYHA class III or IV
- Persistent hyponatremia
- Persistently high BNP or N-terminal proBNP
- Progressive renal insufficiency
Refer a Patient to the VAD Program
Physicians may call UPMC’s 24-hour physician referral service and ask for the Heart Failure attending physician on call toll-free at 1-800-544-2500.
View the VAD Referral Checklist