Open Heart Surgery
Adults who need heart surgery have access to a full range of cardiac surgical services at UPMC.
Our cardiac surgeons perform:
And, through the UPMC Center for Thoracic Aortic Disease, patients have immediate access to state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment strategies for thoracic aortic diseases, such as:
Our Experience and Accomplishments
UPMC takes pride in the rich history of excellence and pioneering firsts of its world-class Adult Cardiac Surgery program:
- Our Heart Transplant Program is one of the few in the United States to have performed more than 1,300 heart transplants.
- Our Artificial Heart Program was one of the first such programs to be established in the country and continues to lead in the development of ventricular-assist devices.
As a national center of excellence for heart surgery, and the largest heart surgery program in Pennsylvania, our cardiac surgeons and researchers have helped lead the way in developing new treatments and surgical techniques.
For example, our cardiac surgeons:
- Helped pioneer minimally invasive heart surgery techniques.
- Performed the first minimally invasive coronary bypass (MIDCAB) graft in the tristate (Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia) region.
- Have expanded these minimally invasive approaches to include valve surgery and the use of robotics.
- Continue to perform advanced procedures and explore and develop new approaches, including the development of new techniques for durable valve repair on both mitral and aortic valves.
Request an appointment today.