Interventional Radiology for Women and Men at Magee-Womens Imaging
Today, many conditions that once required surgery can be treated nonsurgically by interventional radiologists.
Interventional radiologists at Magee-Womens Imaging treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Benign tumors including uterine fibroids
- Malignant tumors leading to liver, kidney, or lung cancer
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Blocked arteries using balloon angioplasty and intravascular stent placement
Compared to open surgery, interventional radiology treatments typically offer less:
About Interventional Radiology at UPMC
The Interventional Radiology Division of UPMC is the largest in western Pennsylvania, offering interventional radiology services at multiple facilities throughout the region.
Our interventional radiologists are board-certified physicians who:
- Specialize in minimally invasive, targeted treatments.
- Offer the most in-depth knowledge of the least-invasive treatments available, coupled with diagnostic and clinical experience across all specialties.
- Use x-rays, MRI, and other state-of-the-art imaging procedures to advance a catheter in the body — usually in an artery — to nonsurgically treat the source of the disease.
- Have expert training in the procedural, diagnostic, and therapeutic aspects of this procedure.
Diagnostic Therapies at Magee-Womens Imaging
Every interventional radiologist is fully trained not only in the procedural aspect of treating patients’ conditions, but also the diagnostic therapies which lead to those conditions, including:
- Plain film radiography