Physician Interviews About Patient Blood Management
UPMC physicians share their thoughts about patient blood management before, during, and after surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Hip/Knee Surgery: Michael R. Pagnotto, MD, is a fellowship-trained specialist in hip and knee replacement surgery. Read this interview to learn more about how he uses patient blood management in orthopaedic surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Thoracic, Esophageal, and Lung Surgery: Ghulam Abbas, MD, chair of the Department of Surgery at UPMC Passavant, specializes in thoracic, esophageal, and lung surgery. Read his interview focusing on options in blood transfusion and minimally invasive surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Urology Issues: Patients who refuse blood transfusions can find skilled and compassionate care for their urologic needs at UPMC. Read this interview with Jeffrey Cohen, MD, to learn more.
- Patient Blood Management and Orthopaedic Surgery Issues: Brian R. Hamlin, MD, explains a variety of techniques for reducing surgical blood loss in treating diseases of the hip and knee.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiology: Read this interview with John Schindler, MD, to find out how patients that cannot be transfused can find respectful care for their cardiology concerns.
- Patient Blood Management and Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery: Suketu Mansuria, MD, discusses bloodless medicine and surgery as an option for patients who may be considering minimally invasive gynecologic surgery.
- Blood Management in the 21st Century: Anthony DiGioia, MD, and Brian Hamlin, MD, physicians at the Orthopaedic Program at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC discuss the impact of transfusion and the use of packed red blood cells as they relate to total joint arthroplasty.
- Patient Blood Management and Surgical Oncology: Kandace McGuire, MD, discusses the treatment of surgical oncology patients who refuse blood products.
- Patient Blood Management and Perfusion: Robert Dyga, RN, discusses the role of a perfusionist, the reasons a surgical patient may decide against receiving blood from another person, blood recovery, and other autologous techniques.
- Patient Blood Management and Colorectal Issues: David Medich, MD, explains the benefits of having a colonoscopy and how this type of screening is available for individuals who cannot accept blood transfusions.
- Patient Blood Management and Gynecologic Oncology: Joseph L. Kelley, MD, reviews patients' bloodless medicine options when seeking treatment for breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, cervical and vaginal cancer, and trophoblastic disease.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiac Surgery: Chris Cook, MD, discusses advances in providing treatment to patients who require the avoidance of blood and blood product transfusions during cardiac surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Plastic Surgery: Sandeep Kathju, MD, discusses the importance of reducing blood loss during plastic surgical procedures, and how it may have a positive affect on the healing process.