Physician Interviews About Patient Blood Management
UPMC physicians share their thoughts about patient blood management before, during, and after surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Hip/Knee Surgery: Michael R. Pagnotto, MD, is a fellowship-trained specialist in hip and knee replacement surgery. Read this interview to learn more about how he uses patient blood management in orthopaedic surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Urology Issues: Patients who refuse blood transfusions can find skilled and compassionate care for their urologic needs at UPMC. Read this interview with Jeffrey Cohen, MD, to learn more.
- Patient Blood Management and Orthopaedic Surgery Issues: Brian R. Hamlin, MD, explains a variety of techniques for reducing surgical blood loss in treating diseases of the hip and knee.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiology: Read this interview with John Schindler, MD, to find out how patients that cannot be transfused can find respectful care for their cardiology concerns.
- Patient Blood Management and Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery: Suketu Mansuria, MD, discusses bloodless medicine and surgery as an option for patients who may be considering minimally invasive gynecologic surgery.
- Blood Management in the 21st Century: Anthony DiGioia, MD, and Brian Hamlin, MD, physicians at the Orthopaedic Program at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC discuss the impact of transfusion and the use of packed red blood cells as they relate to total joint arthroplasty.
- Patient Blood Management and Surgical Oncology: Kandace McGuire, MD, discusses the treatment of surgical oncology patients who refuse blood products.
- Patient Blood Management and Perfusion: Robert Dyga, RN, discusses the role of a perfusionist, the reasons a surgical patient may decide against receiving blood from another person, blood recovery, and other autologous techniques.
- Patient Blood Management and Colorectal Issues: David Medich, MD, explains the benefits of having a colonoscopy and how this type of screening is available for individuals who cannot accept blood transfusions.
- Patient Blood Management and Gynecologic Oncology: Joseph L. Kelley, MD, reviews patients' bloodless medicine options when seeking treatment for breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, cervical and vaginal cancer, and trophoblastic disease.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiac Surgery: Chris Cook, MD, discusses advances in providing treatment to patients who require the avoidance of blood and blood product transfusions during cardiac surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Plastic Surgery: Sandeep Kathju, MD, discusses the importance of reducing blood loss during plastic surgical procedures, and how it may have a positive affect on the healing process.
- Patient Blood Management and Shoulder Replacement Surgery: Thomas Hughes, MD, discusses shoulder replacement surgery and the steps taken preoperatively to prepare patients with blood transfusion preferences for surgery.