Academics and Research
One of the reasons UPMC Sports Medicine has earned international acclaim is the unique role research plays in sports medicine care. Through our vibrant research program, UPMC experts offer patients:
- Clinical outcomes research that teaches sports medicine specialists the practices and treatments most likely to help patients
- Clinical trials with the opportunity to benefit from the newest investigational therapies
- Clinicians who are attuned to research news, and who can direct patients to the latest breakthroughs
- A strong program that attracts some of the best and brightest sports medicine specialists throughout the world
- A chance for treatment options when patients have been told elsewhere they are “untreatable”
Neuromuscular Research Laboratory
The applied research facility of the University of Pittsburgh’s Department of Sports Medicine and Nutrition, the Neuromuscular Research Laboratory (NMRL) collaborates with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and UPMC to study individual function by evaluating both the sensory and motor characteristics specific to several clinical conditions. As part of the UPMC Sports Performance Complex, the NMRL facilitates the interaction between physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers, and laboratory personnel. Learn more about the NMRL .
Learn more about research at UPMC Sports Medicine here.