Concussion Testing and Treatment
Knowing that each concussion is different, the experts at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program work together on assessing, managing, treating, and rehabilitating the different facets of concussions.
Concussion Assessment and Management
The neuropsychologists at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program:
- Evaluate head injuries and perform thorough clinical interviews.
- Conduct neurocognitive testing, such as ImPACT™ (Immediate Postconcussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) or other neuropsychological testing.
- Use this collective data to develop a personalized concussion treatment and management plan, which may include referrals for:
- Neurosurgical, neuro-otology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and orthopaedic evaluations
- Medication management
- Vestibular evaluation and therapy
- Physical and exertion training and rehabilitation
- Behavioral neuro-optometry and vision therapy
Our treatment specialists:
The neurovestibular expert at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program:
- Tests for and treat balance and ocular problems — two potential symptoms of concussions.
- Works with physical therapists from the UPMC Center for Balance Disorders to begin vestibular therapy.
- Uses techniques that help retrain the brain to understand complex environments that include space, motion, and head/eye movements, with exercises that focus on:
When vestibular and headache symptoms pass, or if you quickly recover from cognitive symptoms, your doctor may clear you for certain controlled physical activities.
The exertion training therapists at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program aim to:
- Reintroduce the vestibular system to dynamic activity in a careful and deliberate way.
- Safely increase your heart rate through a variety of regimens, such as:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Strength training
- Agility drills
- Adjust the regimens according to your progress.
- Tailor exertion therapy to your particular sport.ailor exertion therapy to your particular sport.