Education and Research at
UPMC Sports Medicine
One of the reasons UPMC Sports Medicine has earned international acclaim is the unique role research plays in our sports medicine care.
Because our team stays attuned to research news, we can direct patients to the latest breakthroughs in sports medicine treatments.
How Our Sports Medicine Research Helps Patients
Through our vibrant research program, UPMC sports medicine experts offer patients:
- Clinical trials with the chance to benefit from the newest sports medicine therapies.
- Treatment options for patients when other clinics said they are “untreatable.”
- Clinical outcomes research that teaches sports medicine specialists the practices and treatments most likely to help patients.
- A strong program that attracts some of the best and brightest sports medicine experts throughout the world.
Neuromuscular Research Lab
The Neuromuscular Research Laboratory (NMRL) is an applied research facility of the University of Pittsburgh’s Department of Sports Medicine and Nutrition.
The NMRL works with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and UPMC to study individual function by evaluating sensory and motor characteristics specific to several health conditions.
As part of the UPMC Sports Performance program, the NMRL facilitates the interaction between:
- Physical therapists
- Athletic trainers
- Lab researchers and staff
Learn more about the NMRL.