Intestinal Rehabilitation Treatment Options
While total parenteral nutrition (TPN) can be a life-saving option for many, over time it can lead to medical risks.
At UPMC's Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Center, the goal of intestinal rehabilitation is to end the need for TPN, while helping you live a normal life with the remaining bowel.
We can do this by using:
We tailor proper management and treatment to:
- Your individual anatomy and function of the remaining bowel
- The extent of damage to your liver
- Any associated abdominal pathology
When appropriate, we will rehabilitate the bowel with the aim to eliminate TPN therapy.
However, intestinal transplant may be a better treatment option for people with irreversible intestinal failure or abdominal pathologies that cannot be treated with any other conventional therapy.
Make an Appointment or Refer a Patient
Contact the IRTC by:
- Phone at 1-877-640-6746 or 412-647-5800.
- Our physician referral line at 1-800-544-2500.
- Email at email@example.com.