Make a Difference in the Diverse Communities We Serve
We partner with educational and community organizations, as well as suppliers, to promote dignity and respect, healthy communities, workforce development, and entrepreneurship in the communities where we live and work.
*See the CFEI Annual Report for more details
** New metric as of FY15
The UPMC community experience initiatives play a vital role in enhancing the health and economic development of the regional economy, going well beyond the scope of a traditional health care organization. UPMC joins forces with other nonprofits, charitable foundations, and religious organizations to identify and address critical needs, in order to bring about the changes that will make the communities we serve even better.
The Center for Engagement and Inclusion’s efforts encourage UPMC sponsorships and partnerships that help meet the needs of the communities we serve. The Center is dedicated to collaborating with both internal and external partners on diverse community events throughout the year. Our annual Partnership Appreciation Event recognizes individuals and organizations that advance inclusion by building and sustaining environments in which every participant feels valued and appreciated. Our 365 and CTSI partnerships enable the Center to partner with UPMC entities and community groups to improve the health of our community, create health awareness, and support community health events.
At the same time, UPMC employees add to the cultural vibrancy of our region by participating in community outreach events hosted by numerous local organizations. We also collaborate on other initiatives and programs that encourage healthy lifestyles in a broad alliance called the Healthy Communities 365 Initiative.
The Center for Engagement and Inclusion's programs and partnerships reinforce our commitment to make a difference in the diverse communities we serve.
Health Technology Program
The UPMC Health Plan, our hospitals and facilities, employee councils, and volunteers all aim to improve the health of our community. We leverage UPMC resources to promote healthy lifestyles and health awareness through health technology, health learning series, health fairs, health screenings, and other shared services in hopes of helping members of the community take greater control of their health. As technology in health care becomes more prevalent, we’re taking the initiative to demonstrate digital apps and health care solutions. We want the community to be comfortable with health care management technology now and in the future.
Healthy Communities 365* (Hill District, Pittsburgh, and Erie)
Healthy Communities 365* is a community initiative designed to encourage our neighbors to participate in available health services and programs throughout the year so that they can live the best lives possible. Healthy communities do more than just exercise and eat better – they focus on all five areas of health: physical and nutritional health, mental and emotional health, spiritual health, environmental health, and financial health. Together with our community partners, we bring relevant and geographic-specific health information to those living in Allegheny and Erie Counties, and empower our neighbors to take charge of their own health and to gain access to information, community resources, and research opportunities.
CFEI Sponsorships and Events
The Center for Engagement and Inclusion partners with a variety of organizations and educational institutions to promote cultural awareness, health education, and workforce development. Examples include:
- Delta Foundation of Pittsburgh: Providing opportunities and a high quality of life for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities in western Pennsylvania.
- Dignity & Respect Campaign: Joins individuals, community leaders, community organizations, educational institutions, businesses, and corporations in the belief that everyone deserves dignity and respect.
- Fraternities/Sororities: Collaboration on events that serve large populations of African Americans.
- Latino Family Center: Providing parents with support resources, opportunities, and experiences that enable them to become self-sufficient and nurturing parents.
- NAACP: Dedicated to ensuring the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons, and to eliminating race-based discrimination.
- PERSAD: Improving the well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, and HIV/AIDS communities in western Pennsylvania through outreach, prevention, counseling, advocacy, and training services.
- Regional Churches and Faith Communities: Institutions engaging, serving, and reaching the heartbeat of Pittsburgh communities.
- Silk Screen Film Festival: Celebrating Asian and Asian-American history and providing cross-cultural arts and education to the Pittsburgh area.
- Urban League of Pittsburgh: Providing education, health advocacy, housing, early childhood and youth development, hunger services, employment, career training, counseling, and economic empowerment through local communities.
- Vibrant Pittsburgh: Providing opportunities to partner with other organizations on diversity and inclusion strategies, training, and community programs.
- Women and Girls Foundation: Empowering girls and women, and promoting awareness of issues that affect them.
*Sponsored by UPMC