Serve the Underserved and Disadvantaged While Making a Difference in the Diverse Communities We Serve
We are partnering with educational and community organizations, as well as suppliers, to promote dignity and respect, healthy communities, workforce development, and entrepreneurship in the communities where we live and work.
*See the CFEI Annual Report for more details
The UPMC community experience plays a vital role in enhancing the health and economic development of the regional economy, going well beyond the scope of a traditional health care organization. UPMC joins forces with other nonprofits, charitable foundations, and religious organizations to identify and address critical needs, in order to bring about the changes that will make the communities we serve even better.
The Center for Engagement and Inclusion’s efforts encourage UPMC sponsorships and partnerships that help meet the needs of the communities we serve. The Center for Engagement and Inclusion is dedicated to collaborating with both internal and external partners to support UPMC’s inclusion strategies by hosting partnership events throughout the year. Our Partnership Appreciation Event, for example, recognizes individuals and organizations that advance inclusion by building and sustaining environments in which every participant feels valued and appreciated. Our Partnership Summit brings together organizations that support the acquisition of diverse talent, workforce development, and supplier diversity.
At the same time, UPMC employees add to the cultural vibrancy of our region by participating in community outreach events that are hosted by numerous local organizations. We also collaborate in other initiatives and programs that encourage healthy lifestyles in a broad alliance called the Healthy Communities 365 Initiative.
The Center for Engagement and Inclusion's programs and partnerships reinforce our commitment to make a difference in the diverse communities we serve.
Health Technology Programs
The UPMC Health Plan, our hospitals and facilities, employee councils, and volunteers all aim to improve the health of our community. We leverage UPMC resources to promote healthy lifestyles and health awareness through health technology, health learning series, health fairs, health screenings, and other shared services in hopes of helping members of the community take greater control of their health. As technology in health care becomes more prevalent, we’re taking the initiative to demonstrate digital apps and health care solutions. We want the community to be comfortable with health care management technology now and in the future.
Healthy Communities 365 (Hill District, Pittsburgh, and Erie)
Healthy Communities 365 is a community initiative designed to encourage our neighbors to participate in available health services and programs throughout the year so that they can live the best lives possible. Healthy communities do more than just exercise and eat better – they focus on all five areas of health: physical and nutritional health, mental and emotional health, spiritual health, environmental health, and financial health. Our Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) partnership enables the Center for Engagement and Inclusion to partner with UPMC entities, the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh, and the New Pittsburgh Courier, to improve the health of our community. Together we bring relevant and geographic-specific health information to those living in Allegheny and Erie Counties and empower those who read these pages to take charge of their own health and to gain access to information, community resources, and research opportunities.
Dignity & Respect Greater Pittsburgh, and Erie County
The Dignity & Respect Campaign is designed to join individuals, community leaders, community organizations, educational institutions, businesses, and corporations in the belief that everyone deserves dignity and respect. After its 2008 launch at UPMC, the Dignity & Respect Council of Greater Pittsburgh was established with volunteers from the 10-county Pittsburgh region, who have dedicated their time to ensuring its success. With a shared commitment to building welcoming workplaces and communities, the Campaign formed a partnership with Vibrant Pittsburgh in 2012. The Dignity & Respect Campaign of Erie County was established in October 2014. These collaborations help us make our communities a better place for all to live – with all of our differences.
Next Steps Youth Programs
The Next Steps Youth Programs at UPMC provides students with opportunities to realize their potential for success in the health care field. The goals of the program are to increase the number of students across Western Pennsylvania who are interested in and prepared for health care careers prior to high school graduation. It also encourages middle and high school students to enter the health care industry. Students explore the world of health care by participating in field trips, hospital and facility tours, job shadowing opportunities, and career exploration days, along with mentoring and networking with UPMC practitioners. Next Steps also partners with schools and organizations that promote academic achievement in reading, writing, and science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs. Learn more here.
CFEI Sponsorships and Events
The Center for Engagement and Inclusion partners with a variety of organizations and educational institutions to promote cultural awareness, health education, and workforce development. Examples include:
- Delta Foundation of Pittsburgh: Providing opportunities and a high quality of life for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities in western Pennsylvania.
- HOLA Pittsburgh: Improving the diversity and inclusiveness of the Pittsburgh region to sustain its population, economic prosperity, and quality of life through business/government/non-profit partners and Latino community leaders.
- Latino Family Center: Providing parents with support resources, opportunities, and experiences that enable them to become self-sufficient and nurturing parents.
- NAACP: Dedicated to ensuring the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons, and to eliminating race-based discrimination.
- PERSAD: Improving the well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, and HIV/AIDS communities in western Pennsylvania through outreach, prevention, counseling, advocacy, and training services.
- Regional Churches and Faith Communities: Institutions engaging, serving, and reaching the heartbeat of Pittsburgh communities.
- Silk Screen Film Festival: Celebrating Asian and Asian-American history and providing cross-cultural arts and education to the Pittsburgh area.
- Urban League of Pittsburgh: Providing education, health advocacy, housing, early childhood and youth development, hunger services, employment, career training, counseling, and economic empowerment through local communities.
- Women and Girls Foundation: Empowering girls and women, and promoting awareness of issues that affect them.
See our Annual Report , pages 20-22, for list of other partners.