UPMC International and Commercial Services Division (ICSD) Fast Facts
- UPMC is commercializing its expertise, bringing world-class health care, advanced technologies, and management skills to markets throughout the world.
- The goal is to advance UPMC’s mission of positively transforming the way health care is provided, while revitalizing the economy of western Pennsylvania. UPMC is building an integrated global health enterprise that will attract the best and brightest physicians, nurses, and researchers for the benefit of all of its patients.
- UPMC’s ICSD focuses on operations in five areas: clinical services management, infrastructure consultation, strategic and commercial product development partnerships, translational sciences, and national security and public health. Each component is designed to drive transformation of health care delivery worldwide.
Clinical Services Management
Working with private partners and governments around the world, UPMC provides hands-on management of clinical care and specialty services, leveraging the clinical and managerial expertise honed in Pittsburgh. Major areas of focus include cancer clinics, hospital management, and transplantation.
- UPMC’s Istituto Mediterraneo per i Trapianti e Terapie ad Alta Specializzazione (ISMETT) in Sicily is now one of the leading organ transplant centers in Italy and the Mediterranean.
- UPMC is operating cancer centers in Waterford and Dublin, Ireland, to deliver high-quality radiotherapy services.
- UPMC Beacon Hospital, an independent, full-service hospital in Dublin, is owned and operated by UPMC.
- UPMC is providing family medicine clinical teaching and training in Japan for Aso Iizuka Hospital, a privately held, 1,265-bed teaching hospital.
- UPMC is helping to plan a national cancer treatment and research center in Kazakhstan and a comprehensive transplant center in Singapore.
As a leader in applying information technology to improve the quality and efficiency of health care, UPMC brings that expertise to the development of innovative IT products and services for customers worldwide.
- The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals and Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust have engaged UPMC to support or design and implement comprehensive electronic medical records systems.
- dbMotion is a provider of web-based technology that seamlessly integrates patient records from disparate information systems, providing a single and meaningful record to clinicians. UPMC, which holds an investment interest in dbMotion, is partnering with the company to implement and refine this technology.
- Prodigo Solutions provides health care-focused supply chain management solutions, which enhance contract compliance, automate the requisition process, and through a user-friendly online shopping portal, help drive end-user compliance.
UPMC is leading the way in speeding scientific research from the laboratory bench to the bedside — and to the health care marketplace. These efforts promote advances in patient care, while boosting local economies through the development of new biotechnology companies.
- Based on its success at ISMETT, UPMC has been chosen to develop and co-manage a Biomedical Research and Biotechnology Center (BRBC) in Sicily. Until the BRBC opens in 2016, postdoctoral scientists are training in University of Pittsburgh laboratories through a fellowship program sponsored by the Ricerca Mediterranea Foundation (Ri.MED).
- A state-of-the-art cell factory in Palermo, Italy, is one of the country’s most innovative research projects. It processes, stores, and distributes human cells to be used for regenerating damaged organs at transplantation centers throughout Europe.
- The McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, based in Pittsburgh, is a pioneer in tissue engineering, stem cell research, and medical devices development used to repair or replace damaged or diseased tissue and organs.
- Working with the University of Pittsburgh’s Peter M. Winter Institute for Simulation, Education and Research (WISER), the Renato Fiandaca Simulation Center at ISMETT uses life-size, high-tech mannequins to prepare health care professionals for a variety of medical emergencies.
Strategic/Commercial Product Development Partnerships
UPMC is actively forging long-term partnerships with technology and health care industry leaders. UPMC acts as a hands-on equity partner, using its $10 billion integrated global health enterprise to develop and evaluate products and services designed to improve health care delivery.
- Alcatel-Lucent, General Electric, and IBM have created joint development funds with UPMC to develop technologies and build businesses that will improve the quality of health care and reduce its costs. The strategic partnerships that UPMC has established collectively provide $150 million to develop solutions to challenging problems facing health care today. These unique joint development funds are part of UPMC’s effort to commercialize leading-edge technologies and ideas that will bring real change to health care throughout the world.
- Omnyx, a company jointly owned by GE and UPMC, will develop and market digital pathology solutions. This technology will transform diagnostic processes that traditionally have relied on outdated manual methodologies.
- ImPACT software, developed by doctors at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program for concussion injury assessment, is now used by more than 2,000 schools, universities, professional sports programs, and sports medicine centers.
- D3 Oncology Solutions is a leader in rapidly implementing and supporting intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). Since 2001, D3’s expert physicists and physicians have assisted more than 80 clinics nationally with advanced radiotherapy and supported the treatment of more than 7,500 patients. Via Oncology, a division of D3 created by UPMC, uses web-based technology to provide physicians with evidence-based treatment “pathways” for any given state and stage of cancer, thereby reducing variability and improving outcomes for patients.
National Security and Public Health
Protecting western Pennsylvania and the nation from threats to public health is a critical part of UPMC’s mission.
- The UPMC Center for Health Security provides independent, critical research and analysis to inform decision makers in government, national security, bioscience, medicine, public health, and private industry.