UPMC Provider Services Division Fast Facts
UPMC has evolved over the last two decades into one of the nation’s leading integrated health enterprises advancing the quality and efficiency of health care. UPMC serves residents of western Pennsylvania as well as patients who travel from across the nation and around the world to receive many of UPMC’s highly specialized services.
Internationally Recognized Specialty Care
UPMC has developed regionally, nationally, and internationally renowned programs, earning its hospitals repeated recognition among “America’s Best Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report. Currently UPMC is ranked No. 10 in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals, with 15 adult specialties ranked. UPMC is No. 1 in Pennsylvania and No. 1 in Pittsburgh. Among UPMC’s internationally recognized specialty services are:
Transplantation: Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute
- Initiated a pathbreaking transplantation service in 1981.
- Pioneered antirejection medications and made once-experimental procedures, such as liver and bowel transplantation, a part of standard surgical care.
- Has performed more than 17,000 liver, kidney, pancreas and multivisceral transplants.
- Became the second center in the world to perform more than 3,000 heart, lung, and heart-lung transplants.
- Performed the nation’s first bilateral hand transplant.
Behavioral Health: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC
- Part of UPMC’s major academic hospital UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Western Psychiatric is a national leader in the diagnosis, management, and treatment of mental health and addictive disorders.
- Is one of the nation’s foremost psychiatric care facilities and ranks first in research funding from the National Institutes of Health, with six federally funded Centers of Excellence.
Cancer Care: UPMC CancerCenter
- Is one of the largest integrated community networks of cancer care specialists in the country, providing the latest advances in cancer prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Employs an integrated network, anchored by UPMC’s Hillman Cancer Center, which uses telemedicine and other consultative technologies to cover a geographic area of more than 200 miles.
- Extends cancer care expertise abroad, with a center in Waterford, Ireland, and future sites in the United Kingdom.
Children’s Health: Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
- Is one of the nation’s leading pediatric facilities and the region’s only hospital dedicated to the care of children.
- Is nationally recognized for expertise in pediatric cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, critical care, diabetes, hematology/oncology and bone marrow transplantation, neonatology, neurology, neurosurgery, organ and tissue transplantation, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, otolaryngology, and pediatric surgery.
- Is one of 12 hospitals on the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals, and is one of four hospitals tied for ninth place on the Honor Roll.
- The $622 million hospital and research facility, built in 2009, is a paperless, environmentally sustainable, patient-friendly “hospital of the future” envisioned by many health care reformers, with the region’s only pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.
Women’s Health: Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC
- Is ranked among the top hospitals in the nation for gynecologic care and is a National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health — one of the first recognized by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Its Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the largest in Pennsylvania, treats more than 1,600 seriously or critically ill babies each year.
- The Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences is among the nation’s top departments of its kind in funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Other specialty services available at UPMC include:
- UPMC Department of Neurological Surgery — One of the few medical centers in the Unite States — and throughout the world — with expertise in the full array of surgical options for complex brain and spine conditions, including minimally invasive surgery, microsurgery, and radiosurgery, and other innovative surgical techniques and imaging technologies. It is the nation’s leader in radiosurgery for lesions in the brain and spine, having developed the nation’s first Gamma Knife® program.
- UPMC Center for Sports Medicine — Provides medical care for the six-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and the three-time Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins, while also caring for student athletes at more than 50 high schools, colleges, and universities, and thousands more nonathletes.
- UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program — The first and largest clinical and research program of its kind.
- UPMC Rehabilitation Institute — Part of the largest rehabilitation network in western Pennsylvania, offering specialized, inpatient care for a variety of conditions, including brain injuries, complex orthopaedic injuries, general and transplant rehabilitation, multiple traumatic injuries and amputations, spinal cord injuries, and stroke.
- UPMC Comprehensive Lung Center — Specialists in transplantation, asthma and allergy, emphysema, cystic fibrosis, and interstitial lung disease.
- UPMC Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery — Leading developers of the latest diagnostic, surgical, and medical techniques for minimally invasive surgery.
- UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute — An international leader in cardiovascular medicine, with 12 hospital settings, 20 full-service locations, and more than 80 physicians and scientists.
- UPMC Digestive Disorders Center — Expert treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, swallowing disorders, cancer, pancreatic and biliary diseases, and other disorders.
- UPMC Ear, Nose & Throat Specialists — Comprehensive otolaryngology services ranging from minimally invasive surgery to conservative treatments for swallowing, voice, and balance disorders.
- UPMC Eye Center — A recognized leader in advanced technology for the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases and disorders.
- UPMC Rheumatology — A leader in the research and treatment of rare and complex immune system disorders, including myositis, scleroderma, vasculitis, and lupus.
- UPMC Stroke Institute — A leading provider of medical and surgical stroke management, including advanced and investigational stroke therapies not available at other stroke treatment centers, such as intra-arterial thrombolytic treatment, stroke neurosurgery, neuroprotective drugs, and neural implantation.
- UPMC Trauma Care — Admitting more than 11,000 adult trauma patients and 1,700 pediatric trauma patients annually. It is the largest trauma system in Pennsylvania, and one of the most comprehensive systems, by scope and depth of services, in the nation. UPMC’s book, The Trauma Manual, now in its third edition, is used by more than 30,000 trauma surgeons worldwide.
- UPMC Urological Services — From admission to discharge, providing a wide range of clinical services and innovative treatment strategies under one roof for both men and women, including treatment for prostate and urologic cancers.
- UPMC Voice Center — Dedicated to the evaluation and care of voice disorders for both the general public and those who use their voices professionally.
- UPMC Geriatric Services — Nationally recognized expertise in clinical and community programs for the elderly, including long-term care, influenza and incontinence management, delirium and falls prevention, and the development of a “medical home.” The Aging Institute of UPMC Senior Services and the University of Pittsburgh is a top recipient of aging-related NIH research funding.
- UPMC Home Health Services — Modern Healthcare ranks UPMC No. 10 in the nation for home health services, with more than 465,000 home health visits a year.
- UPMC Imaging Services — Offering a wide range of the most advanced imaging exams at more than 40 convenient locations throughout the region, with convenient hours, including early morning, evening, and weekend. UPMC’s digital imaging technology makes high-quality images accessible 24/7 from any UPMC hospital or facility.
By the Numbers
- More than 20 academic, community, and regional hospitals with more than 4,500 licensed beds
- More than 400 clinical locations in western Pennsylvania
- More than 3,200 employed physicians among the more than 5,500 affiliated doctors
- More than 30 UPMC CancerCenter locations with 180 affiliated oncologists
- More than 200 psychiatrists and psychologists, in addition to 600 other clinicians, providing behavioral health services at five hospitals and more than 50 outpatient and ambulatory programs
- 20 retirement and long-term care facilities, assisting more than 2,900 senior residents
- More than 70 hospital and outpatient physical rehabilitation facilities
- More than 253,000 inpatient admissions and more than 174,000 surgeries performed annually
- More than 3.6 million outpatient visits and 600,000 emergency visits annually