United Kingdom: Information Technology and Cancer Care
Electronic Health Records
UPMC partnered with Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals — a national health system trust in the northern part of England — to implement electronic health record applications across the its three facilities.
Drawing on UPMC’s clinical domain knowledge and vast experience with successful IT deployments, UPMC implemented six applications for:
- Patient administration
- Accidents and emergencies
- Results review and orders
- Medication orders
- Theatre (operating room) management
- Pharmacy management systems
The goals of the partnership between UPMC and Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals are to improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of patient care by increasing consistency and clarity of health information.
In addition, Newcastle has agreed to collaborate with UPMC to support similar projects at other U.K. trusts.
Cancer Care Management
UPMC CancerCenter is also engaged in the United Kingdom through a management services agreement with The Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust.
Among the objectives of this agreement are the:
- Opening of several satellite cancer centers in the Berkshire/Thames Valley region.
- Launching of image-guided radiotherapy combined with IMRT at both the hub facility in Reading and the new satellite facilities.