Ireland: Cancer Centers and Hospital Management
Cancer Centers in Waterford and Dublin
In 2006, using UPMC’s successful, integrated model of cancer care, UPMC CancerCenter opened its doors abroad with its first international cancer center, UPMC Whitfield Cancer Centre in Waterford, Ireland.
The partnership between Euro Care International and UPMC brings leading-edge radiation therapy to the region, helping more than 800 new patients each year.
International expansion came again in 2007 when UPMC CancerCenter accepted the management of Beacon Hospital Cancer Centre in Dublin.
UPMC Beacon Hospital Cancer Centre provides a comprehensive range of cancer services, including:
- Oncology surgery
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
Full-Service Hospital in Dublin
UPMC Beacon Hospital is a full-service hospital combining the best in Irish and U.S. health care.
The hospital has:
- 147 inpatient beds
- A 20-bed day unit for same-day surgeries
- A 14-bed critical/intensive care unit
- An eight-bed emergency department
Dedicated surgical units
Treatment facilities in UPMC Beacon Hospital include eight operating theaters with dedicated units for:
- Urology surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- General surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Ophthalmic surgery
Specialty care centers
Dedicated centers within the hospital include:
The latest imaging technologies
As the showcase site for General Electric in Europe, UPMC Beacon Hospital has the latest radiology systems, including:
- CT scanner with cardiac capabilities
- CT Sim
It also features:
- Digital radiology suites with advanced mammography, nuclear medicine, and ultrasound.
- Angiography suites and lab with advanced single-plane and bi-plane systems and fluoroscopy.