Excellence in Patient Care
To serve our patients, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is creating the health system of the future — a system where every patient receives the right care, in the right way, at the right time. Innovative clinical programs and state-of-the-art facilities are the foundation of this health system model. In 2005, UPMC invested $147 million in facility enhancements and new clinical technology. The results are visible throughout western Pennsylvania — progress toward a major Children's Hospital and Research Center, new emergency departments, retirement facilities, community-based cancer centers, and more.
UPMC advances patient care through many different systemwide initiatives, including:
- Patient and medication safety
- Positive patient identification
- eRecord – electronic patient medical records
- Using technology to eliminate medication errors
- Reducing the risk of patient falls