Learning and Development
UPMC offers numerous growth and development opportunities for employees.
For New Employees
The Beginnings Program
Recognizing that anxiety often comes with a career move, new staff members at UPMC experience the Beginnings orientation program*. This full-day program provides you with all the necessary tools for a successful career at UPMC.
The Beginnings program incorporates innovative, interactive methods to introduce you to the foundations of UPMC culture.
You'll learn about:
- the UPMC structure and vision for the future
- key policies and procedures
- the importance of keeping patient information secure
- core safety regulations
- ethical expectations
- benefits of working for UPMC
Before leaving for the day, you will also receive your UPMC photo ID badge and have opportunities to:
- Mingle with other new staff members
- Meet with Human Resources representatives
- Learn about various UPMC departments
- Obtain information on special banking incentives for UPMC staff
- Learn about health promotions sponsored by UPMC Health Plan
- Speak with someone from UPMC’s employee assistance program, LifeSolutions
- Review transportation options
- Sign up for a parking lease
*Most UPMC business units participate in the Beginnings program.
Welcome Day Program
Many of our business units have a "day two program" to welcome new staff members to the facility where they will be working.
For New Managers
Journey to Management
New managers at UPMC have the opportunity to attend a full-day program targeted at easing the transition to a leadership role.
You will receive the foundation you need to be successful in shaping the future of UPMC, through:
- A look at UPMC’s Past, Present, and Future Vision
- Executive interactions
- Management style assessments
- Tools of the trade
As you continue your journey, you will have opportunities to attend additional instructor-led and online leadership classes to further your development.
For All UPMC Staff
uLearn, Online Learning Management System
All UPMC staff members have access to self-paced courses to advance their knowledge and awareness of critical topics. Employees register for courses through uLearn, our learning management system.
Back to top