Frequently Asked Questions
Prior to contacting us with questions regarding the UPMC job application
process, please be sure to view our Frequently Asked Questions below.
I have a disability and need assistance
I am having difficulty logging into the UPMC
If you have previously registered for an account, but are unsure of your
username and/or password, click on the ‘Login Help’ link from the screen where
you are trying to log in. From that help page, you should be able to
either enter your User Name and click 'Get New Password' or enter your e-mail
address to ‘Find Username.’ This will cause the system to e-mail you the
requested information. If you have been e-mailed a new password, you can
then change the password to something more familiar by clicking on the 'My
Contact Information' link and clicking 'Change Password.'
Please note: If you do not receive an e-mail,
please check your junk folder to make sure that your e-mail system
isn't filtering our messages to you. If you have not
previously registered for an account, click on the ‘Register Now’ link from
the screen where you are trying to log in. This will navigate you to a
page where you can establish a new username and password for your account and
review our First Time Users guide.
What is the recommended Internet
connection and web browser?
- Although faster Internet connections like DSL or cable modem are
preferred, you should be able to also use a dial-up connection. However,
if you are using a dial-up connection, please allow for the pages to load
completely and for the system to finish processing before completing the next
question or section of the application.
- It is recommended that you use Internet Explorer version 7.0 or greater
when using the jobs.upmc.com web application.
- Note: Popup Blockers, web security applications, and
firewalls can impact this website. If you are encountering issues, please
set your browser to the default settings and temporarily disable popup
blockers and other security applications that are effecting the site.
My session timed out. Why?
- For your security, if your session is inactive for 40 minutes, it will be
timed out. You will need to log back in to restart the application process.
- When navigating throughout the site, please do not use your browser's
Back button as this can cause your session to expire.
Instead, use the Return to Previous Page links located within
I am having difficulty
finding a specific job posting.
- On average, UPMC has more than 1,000 jobs posted. To make your search
easier, use the advanced search option and search for jobs by key words
specific to your experience, location, and schedule desires. This will return
better results. Search Tips
I do not have an e-mail address. What do I
- Our goal is to communicate to our candidates frequently and effectively.
Due to the volume of applications, we cannot send everyone a hard copy letter.
In order to receive important communication from UPMC about your application,
you must have an active e-mail address. In the future, we plan to communicate
your application status more frequently via e-mail.
- These three websites offer free email service:
What is a job search agent?
- A job search agent is a process that automatically runs overnight,
identifying newly posted positions at UPMC that meet your predefined search
criteria. It allows for you to avoid frequent, manual searches through
our job postings and be immediately notified about specific positions that are
a good fit for you.
- To set up a Job Search Agent, enter your search criteria and click on the
Save Search button from the Basic or Advanced Job Search
pages. Enter a name for your search and then check the Use as
Job Agent box. Then, specify the e-mail address where you wish
to send the overnight search results.
How many positions can I
apply to each session?
- We limit the number of job applications per login to five.
Am I able to apply to the same job
- Once you have applied to a job posting, you will not be able to apply to
that same posting again. However, we encourage you to visit our site often to
search and apply for similar job opportunities.
If I exit the application prior to
submitting, will I be able to return?
- It is recommended that you complete the application process in its
entirety without exiting. If you save the application and exit prior to successfully submitting it,
your information will be saved in draft form and you will have the opportunity to apply as long as
the posting is available.
I would like to submit my resume without applying
to a specific position. How can I do that?
- You must apply to a specific position to be considered an applicant at
I would like to edit a resume that
I have uploaded, but I am having difficulty.
If you are having difficulty opening an uploaded
resume, temporarily disable any popup blockers and press and hold down
the Ctrl key while clicking on the link. This will
bring up a view only version of your resume. If you
wish to change your resume, you can save the view
only version of your resume to your computer, edit and save
there, and then upload this edited version the next time you apply for a job
I would like to edit a
resume and application I have previously submitted for a position. How can I do
- Once you complete the application process for a specific position, there
is no way to go back and edit what was previously submitted. Please take
time to properly ensure the information you are submitting in the application
process is accurate and what you want it to be.
Why did my resume fail to
- The resume file was too large or was in not the correct format.
- Only resumes with the following file extensions can be uploaded: .doc or
.docx (Microsoft Word) or .txt (Notepad or a text editor).
- Files must be less than 500KB in size.
- We recommend that you verify the size and format of your resume and try
to upload again.
- The resume document contained a virus or the file was corrupt
- You may want to rebuild your resume in another document if the current
file contains a virus or is corrupt.
- The Internet connection failed during the upload process.
- If the upload process continues to encounter errors, please utilize the
Copy and Paste option to continue with the application
process, or try to apply at a later time.
Can I submit my resume via
- UPMC’s policy is only to accept electronic applications and resumes.
Why did some of my
resume not default correctly into the application?
- Our system utilizes software to automatically default resume data into the
application section. Based on individual formatting of resumes, at times, this
data may not populate accurately. Therefore, it is essential that you review
all populated information to ensure accuracy, and make corrections as
How will I know
that I have successfully submitted my application?
- The application is complete once you have agreed to the terms and
conditions of the application, and clicked on the final Submit button. You
will receive confirmation on the screen that the application has been
successfully submitted. You also will receive a confirmation e-mail.
What should I expect to happen after I
submit my application?
- Once you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail
response verifying that UPMC received your application(s). A human resource
representative may then review the application to assess your qualifications
in relation to the position. Based on your education and employment
background, you may be contacted for further screening and/or an interview. We
do our best to facilitate an efficient and timely recruitment and hiring
process; however, we do not follow a specific timeline.
I would like to update an application
that I just submitted. How can I do that?
- Your submission is considered your official application and is what will
be used to assess your skills for the position for which you applied. Once you
submit your information to a specific position, the application cannot be
How can I contact Human Resources
regarding a position?
- Due to the volume of inquiries, we are not able to respond directly to
each applicant. Your application will be reviewed, and if UPMC is interested
in your background, a UPMC recruiter will contact you for an interview.
- If you want to meet one of our representatives, consider attending an
upcoming career event. For a list of upcoming events, visit http://www.upmc.com/careersatupmc/Pages/UpcomingEvents.aspx
Why did a recruiter call me for a
position I did not apply to?
- Your applications are kept in our database for future reference so we can
continue to consider you for additional positions. All of UPMC’s divisions
share access to this information, so you may be contacted for a position for
which you did not apply.
I have a functional or technical question
regarding the UPMC job application process that was not answered in the
Frequently Asked Questions.
- Please click
here to submit your question regarding the application process.