Insurance Service Division (ISD) Administrative Fellowship Program
About the ISD Administrative Fellowship Program
The two-year ISD fellowship is a leadership development program that serves as means to develop a broad experience in fellows' career that will foster their professional development within the Insurance Service Division arena.
Fellows will have the opportunity to rotate through experienced aspects of the Insurance Service Division and any of the other entities in which interest is expressed.
Each rotation will serve as a learning experience for fellows by testing their abilities, as well as instilling applicable system and divisional knowledge related to the strategic plan and vision of the organization. Applicable project(s) work will be assigned within each rotation in order to ensure fellows' progress is meeting the expectations of the program.
In addition to departmental designated projects, fellows will also have the opportunity to seek out projects that meet their personal career objectives. At the end of the program, fellows will work closely with their preceptors in finding the employment opportunities in the organization.
Core Functional Rotations — ISD Administrative Fellowship
ISD fellows spend their first year rotating with the executive team at UPMC Health Plan. UPMC Health Plan is the Insurance Service Division of UPMC, which is consistently ranked among America's best hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. UPMC Health Plan serves as the centralized hub for a wide array of health insurance plan services and operates in the Downtown Pittsburgh campus located at US Steel Tower.
Throughout rotations, fellows will gain structured experience in the areas of Revenue Cycle, Budgeting, and Finance.
The second year will be left flexible and allows the ISD fellows to spend time in an area of interest or organizational need.
The fellowship is comprised of rotations, in which the fellows will primarily be involved in project work. Key areas of focus may include (but are not limited to):
- Finance and Revenue
- Quality Improvement
- Hospital Rotation, Physician Service Division, and Health Service Division
- Academic Research
- Medical Management
- Clinical Departments
Examples of projects that ISD fellows may work on include:
- Developing strategic business initiatives
- Coordinating various task forces
- Creating financial dashboards and budgets
- Performing cost benefit analysis
- Trending financial data
- Implementing quality-of-care improvement initiatives, such as Medical Expense Ratio and improving STAR ratings, and working towards Patient Centered Medical Homes and lowering of Medical Expense Ratio
Roles and Expectations — ISD Administrative Fellowship
ISD fellows are each assigned an advisor who serves as a mentor and an advocate throughout the entire fellowship. Fellows are also each assigned a preceptor during each rotation. Preceptors are responsible for guidance and progress by:
- Defining projects
- Ensuring that fellows' needs are being met
- Meeting with fellows regularly
- Providing timely feedback regarding performance and progress
In addition, ISD Administrative Fellows are responsible for attending the following meetings:
- Monthly Administrator Meeting
- Council of Clinical Chairs
- ISD Corporate Management Meeting
- ISD Management Forum
- Board meetings
The fellows are responsible for providing their advisors and preceptors with all necessary information to ensure a mutually beneficial experience.
Opportunities and Benefits for ISD Administrative Fellows
UPMC is highly committed to the training of administrative fellows, and offers opportunities to:
- Gain broad exposure to processes in an insurance service division and academic medical center during rotations
- Better understand clinical operations and finances.
- Strengthen health care experience through work on various in-depth projects
- Be mentored by senior-level executives
- Coordinate and participate in executive-level meetings
- Establish a network of contacts throughout the health system
- Improve management and leadership skills
- Refine communication and analytical skills
Salary and Benefits
UPMC provides a competitive salary, relocation package, and full benefits, including:
- Life and disability insurance
Reimbursement for travel expenses to regional or national health care conferences also may be provided.
Interested in applying for a UPMC fellowship?
See the fellowship requirements and how to apply.