Insurance Service Division (ISD) Administrative Fellowship Program
About the ISD Administrative Fellowship Program
The two-year ISD fellowship is a leadership development program that serves as means to develop a broad experience in fellows' career that will foster their professional development within the Insurance Services Division arena.
Fellows will have the opportunity to rotate through experienced aspects of the Insurance Services Division and any of the other entities in which interest is expressed.
Each rotation will serve as a learning experience for fellows by testing their abilities, as well as instilling applicable system and divisional knowledge related to the strategic plan and vision of the organization. Applicable project(s) work will be assigned within each rotation in order to ensure fellows' progress is meeting the expectations of the program.
In addition to departmental designated projects, fellows will also have the opportunity to seek out projects that meet their personal career objectives. At the end of the program, fellows will work closely with their preceptors in finding employment opportunities within the organization.
Core Functional Rotations — ISD Administrative Fellowship
Fellows spend their first year rotating with the executive team at UPMC Insurance Services Division. UPMC is the largest medical and behavioral health insurer in western Pennsylvania, insuring more than 3 million lives. UPMC Insurance Services Division serves as the centralized hub for a wide array of health insurance plan services and operates in the Downtown Pittsburgh campus located at the US Steel Tower.
Fellows participate in core functional rotations during their first year of the program and pursue a specific interest during their second year of the program. Upon completion of the program, fellows are prepared to move into highly competitive roles within the organization.
The fellowship is comprised of rotations, in which the fellows will primarily be involved in project work. Key areas of focus may include (but are not limited to):
- Government Programs
- Commercial Products
- Organizational Performance
- Finance Quality Improvement
- Medical Management
- Community Care Behavioral Health
Examples of projects that ISD fellows may work on include:
- Developing strategic business initiatives
- Coordinating various task forces
- Creating financial dashboards and budgets
- Performing cost benefit analysis
- Trending financial data
- Implementing quality-of-care improvement initiatives
Supplemental Learning Opportunities
The following training and development courses will be offered to provide exposure to key areas of human resource management:
- Journey to Management
- New Manager Training - Physician Services
- Communicating for Leadership Success
- Strategic Performance Management
- Fraud: Define, Deter, Detect
- Generations in the Workplace
- Addressing Poor Performance
- Resolving Workplace Conflict
- Crucial Conversations
Roles and Expectations — ISD Administrative Fellowship
ISD fellows are each assigned an advisor who serves as a mentor and an advocate throughout the entire fellowship. Fellows are also each assigned a preceptor during each rotation. Preceptors are responsible for guidance and progress by:
- Defining projects
- Ensuring that fellows' needs are being met
- Meeting with fellows regularly
- Providing timely feedback regarding performance and progress
The fellows are responsible for providing their advisors and preceptors with all necessary information to ensure a mutually beneficial experience.
Opportunities and Benefits for ISD Administrative Fellows
UPMC is highly committed to the training of administrative fellows, and offers opportunities to:
- Gain broad exposure to processes in an insurance service division and academic medical center during rotations
- Better understand clinical operations and finances
- Strengthen health care experience through work on various in-depth projects
- Be mentored by senior-level executives
- Coordinate and participate in executive-level meetings
- Establish a network of contacts throughout the health system
- Improve management and leadership skills
- Refine communication and analytical skills
Salary and Benefits
UPMC provides a competitive salary, relocation package, and full benefits, including:
- Life and disability insurance
Reimbursement for travel expenses to regional or national health care conferences also may be provided.
Interested in applying for a UPMC fellowship?
See the fellowship requirements and how to apply.