Insurance Services Division (ISD) Summer Residency Program
The UPMC Insurance Services Division (ISD) Summer Residency is a 500 hour, paid internship starting in mid May. Working 40-hours a week, Summer Residents will have a unique opportunity to learn and contribute to the Insurance Services Division, while pursuing their health care career interests. Summer Residents receive mentorship from executives and fellows in the Administrative Fellowship Program.
About the Summer Residency Program
The ISD Summer Residency Program will offer opportunities to:
- Gain broad exposure to various aspects of ISD
- Better understand the role of ISD as it relates to UPMC and its function as part of a fully integrated academic medical center and physician services — and improve knowledge of the structure of a fully integrated academic medical center
- Strengthen health care experience through work on various projects
- Observe executive-level meetings
- Improve management, leadership, communication, networking, and analytical skills
Each resident will be assigned to a preceptor at the executive administrative level or above and be exposed to different areas within ISD that lie outside their immediate department assignment. Upon successful completion of the summer residency, participants will be invited to apply to the post-graduate Insurance Services Administrative Fellowship.
- Students must be pursuing an MBA, MHA, MPH, or equivalent master-level degree from an accredited program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and being a hardworking, conscientious, and self-motivated individual are required
- Preference will be given to candidates that have demonstrated leadership ability through their studies, employment, or extracurricular activities
How to Apply for the 2018 ISD Summer Residency Program
Please check back in fall 2017 for information regarding applying for the ISD Summer 2018 Residency Program.
For any questions related to the application process or the residency please contact Shannon Krohe, the current ISD Administrative Fellow.