Advanced Practice Surgical Residency
The UPMC Advanced Practice Provider Postgraduate Residency Program is dedicated to advancing UPMC as the premier educational setting for producing excellence in patient care delivery through an innovative and world-class clinical curriculum specifically tailored to prepare the physician assistant and nurse practitioner to practice in an evolving and increasingly complex health care market.
The program will begin with three weeks of educational training including:
- Laparoscopic Training Lab
- Cadaver lab
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Training
- Suturing and Line Insertion Course
- Lectures covering all aspects peri-operative care of the surgical patient
The program will continue with eight, six week clinical rotations.
Surgical rotations will include:
- GI/ PB surgery
Application Process and Requirements
The Department of Surgery will select at least two qualified applicants to participate in a 12-month residency starting July 1.
Eligible applicants will meet the following requirements:
- Graduate (prior to the residency start date) of an accredited physician assistant/nurse practitioner program
- Available for an in-person interview during the months of January-March.
- PANCE certification (if applicable)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- A current state PA license, certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required prior to start date
- BSN, MSN Candidate is preferred
- A current state RN license and CRNP certification is required prior to start date
Applicants will complete the two-step application process:
- Apply online using the following Job ID: 2029997
- Applicants will submit the following materials in their entirety by postal mail; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Copies of Pennsylvania Act 33, 34, and 73 clearances
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal narrative
- Official transcripts from NP/PA Program
- Copy of ACLS certification card
- Copy of CPR card
- Three letters of recommendation (one must be from your program director/clinical coordinator)
- Advanced Practice Provider Surgical Residency Application Checklist
Please mail the required documents to:
UPMC Advanced Practice Provider Residency Program
Forbes Tower, Suite 9048
200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Amy L. Haller, PA-C
UPMC APP Surgical Residency Program
Physician Assistant II MIS Bariatric
and General Surgery
**Acceptance to residency program is contingent upon successful completion of the UPMC credentialing process and a pre-employment health screening.