Clinical Telemedicine Services at UPMC
Clinical telemedicine services connect patients and health care providers, nationally and internationally, to UPMC medical specialists in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Some of the clinical areas providing telemedicine services at UPMC include:
- Inpatient and emergency consults for hospitals without dermatology coverage.
- Timely transmission of images and clinical information.
- Educational opportunities for residents and fellows.
|Emergency Care and Trauma
- Timely trauma evaluations for patients in remote or rural areas.
- Assistance with triage and transfer decisions.
- Learning opportunities for community providers.
- Efficient, team-based solutions for ICU shortages.
- Proactive and individualized patient care.
- Reduced ICU complication rates and length of stay.
- Remote consults and co-management of high-risk and at-risk obstetrical patients.
- Early interventions to help prevent progression of obstetrical complications.
- Increased chance of local delivery.
- Remote consults and test interpretations for hospitals without ophthalmology coverage.
- Screenings for diabetic retina disease in PCP office.
- Real-time image transmission and video display.
- Remote consults via whole slide digital imaging and store and forward image transmission.
- Real-time dynamic intraoperative consultations.
- Immediate access to pathology experts through a secure consultation portal.
- Enhanced provider and patient access to underserved pediatric subspecialties.
- Decreased wait time, travel, and missed work and school days.
- Remote learning opportunities for nurses and physicians at community hospitals.
- Outpatient and inpatient telepsychiatric services to underserved, rural areas.
- Consultation liaison services for hospitals without in-house psychiatrists.
- Increased convenience and access to mental health services for patients.
- Radiology support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Evening coverage for spine studies and all emergency department plain films.
- Access to grand rounds and CME via audio and videoconferencing.
- Remote monitoring and proactive care for at-home patients.
- Convenient management of chronic conditions.
- Reduced hospital readmission rates, emergency room visits, and patient costs.
- Live, two-way audio and video assessments of stroke patients.
- Real-time consults on the use of IV tPA.
- Access to UPMC vascular neurologists 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Preanesthesia and preoperative clearance prior to surgery.
- Virtual rounding of inpatients with primary surgeon.
- Postoperative follow-up care close to home.
- Remote consults for patients with poorly healing wounds.
- Real-time transmission and review of images.
- Reduced patient transfer rates.
- Colon and rectal diseases.
- Diabetes management.
- And many more specialties…