Same Day Surgery
The Same Day Surgery Unit provides surgical and diagnostic procedures on an outpatient or ambulatory basis. Same Day Surgery and Short Procedure Unit patients are registered as outpatients to UPMC Bedford, have surgery or other special procedures, and are discharged the same day.
You may be requested to complete laboratory studies or other tests in preparation for your procedure. Your doctor will let you know when you should get any tests done and any special instructions that you will need to follow.
Preparing for the Hospital
If you are scheduled for same day surgery, you are preregistered already and should report to the appropriate registration location in the hospital on the day of the procedure.
Reminders for Same Day Surgery Patients:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that can be folded easily. A patient gown will be provided to you.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish, or jewelry.
- Do not bring valuables with you.
- Bring a list of medications, or if requested, bring with you the medications that you take regularly.
- Bring a lens case if you wear contact lenses.
- Bring a copy of your advance directive or living will (if you have one) to the hospital
- Follow any instructions regarding food, drink, and medication, as it may be important for the administration of anesthesia.