Visitor Information at UPMC Bedford Memorial
Family and friends are very important to the healing process. To make it easier for them to be involved in the patient’s care, visiting hours are not limited to any specific time frame. Please talk with the patient’s nurse to coordinate appropriate times or with any concerns.
Visiting hours within the Intensive Care Units are flexible and are coordinated by the nursing staff based on each patient's condition. Please call the Intensive Care Unit for more specific information before you visit.
Children Under 12
All children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. This rule applies in all rooms, lobbies, corridors, and public restrooms.
What to Bring/What Not to Bring
- Flowers are permitted in patient rooms
- Latex balloons are not permitted. Mylar balloons are OK.
- Please check with the nurse before offering a patient anything to eat or drink.
To Prevent Infection
- People who are coughing, sneezing, or ill must not visit.
- Visitors are asked to cover coughs or sneezes with their arm.
- All visitors should wash their hands upon entering and leaving patient rooms.
- When isolation is called for, visitors must take all isolation precautions as the physician or nurse directs.
- Please do not use patient restrooms unless the patient is assigned a private room and gives consent.
Sometimes We Must Ask Visitors to Leave
Visitors may be required to leave the patient’s room if:
- The patient is being examined by a doctor or nurse
- The patient’s condition has changed so that he or she needs to be seen by a doctor or nurse
- The patient or clinician has asked to be left alone