Before Your Stay at UPMC Bedford
Helping You Prepare for Your Hospital Stay or Same-Day Surgery
On this page:
Preadmission Process at UPMC Bedford
If you're coming to the hospital for an inpatient stay, please report to the Admissions office at the front desk.
Your preadmission appointment may take up to 2 hours.
During your visit, our team will conduct necessary tests and gather information about your health and medical history.
Testing before your hospital stay
You may need to have labs or other tests done before your surgery or treatment at UPMC Bedford.
Your doctor will let you know when you should get any tests done and give you any other special instructions that you will need to follow.
What to bring
- Your insurance card
- Important paperwork including:
- Medical history documents
- List of all of your medicines
- Contact details of your primary care physician (PCP) and other medical providers
Top of page
Before Surgery at UPMC Bedford
A Certified Physician Assistant or a nurse may complete a phone assessment, prior to your surgery. Allow 20 minutes for this phone call.
Please have your list of medicines and medical history ready to talk about with the nurse.
The nurse will offer:
- Dietary instructions.
- What medicines to take the day of surgery.
- Any other information you need before your surgery.
The night before your surgery, do not drink any alcoholic beverages.
Patients have the right to decide what medical care they want to receive in any situation.
This includes choices about extraordinary measures to sustain life such as:
- CPR (cardiac resuscitation)
- Ventilator support
Advance care planning
Before your surgery or hospital stay at UPMC Bedford, you may want to consider drafting an advance directive if you haven't already.
An advance directive is a written document that expresses your wishes for medical care if you're unable to communicate them to your doctors and loved ones.
- Living wills
- Health care agents
- Medical powers of attorney
Learn more about advance directives in UPMC's general patient resources section.
Top of page
Day of Surgery
The following are reminders for the day of surgery at UPMC Bedford:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that you can easily fold. We will provide a patient gown for you to wear.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish, or jewelry.
- Do not bring valuables with you.
- Bring a list of medicines you take regularly or bring the medicines with you.
- Bring a lens case if you wear contact lenses.
- Bring a copy of your advance directive or living will (if you have one).
- Follow your doctor's or surgeon's instructions regarding food, drink, and medicine.
Same-day surgery at UPMC Bedford
The Same-Day Surgery Unit at UPMC Bedford provides surgical and diagnostic procedures on an outpatient or ambulatory basis.
We register patients having same-day surgery and short procedures at UPMC Bedford as outpatients and discharge you the same day.
Top of page