Before You Arrive at UPMC East
Helping You Prepare for Your Hospital Stay or Same-Day Surgery
On this page:
Preadmission Process at UPMC East
Your preadmission appointment may take up to 2 hours.
During your visit, our team will gather your medical history and conduct any necessary tests. We'll also answer any questions you may have to ensure a safe and successful stay at UPMC East.
UPMC East Preoperative and Outpatient Testing Center
2775 Mosside Blvd.
Monroeville, PA 15146
412-357-3400, to schedule a pre-op appointment.
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday:8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (last appt. at 4 p.m.)
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. (last appt. at 6 p.m.)
- Saturday: 8 a.m. to noon
Walk-in patients should report to the 1st floor Information Desk at UPMC East.
What to bring to your preadmission visit
- Your medical and surgical history.
- A list of all prescription and over-the-counter medicines, including vitamins and herbal preparations.
- A list of all allergies.
- The names and phone numbers of your current primary care provider (PCP) and other medical specialists involved in your health care.
What to expect during preadmission testing
During your visit to UPMC East's Preoperative Testing Center, a physician assistant (PA) and lab technician will:
- Examine you.
- Ask you questions about your health.
- Complete any tests your surgeon requires.
Tests will vary, based on your health and type of surgery, but may include:
- Vital signs
- Blood or urine tests
- Chest x-rays
A physician assistant will review your medical records and discuss any recommendations for further testing, if needed.
You will also meet with a registered nurse (RN) for a nursing assessment and surgical instructions.
If your surgeon requests that you have any testing, please schedule an appointment at the UPMC East Preoperative and Outpatient Testing Center by calling 412-357-3400.
Top of page
Before Surgery at UPMC East
A UPMC East preadmission nurse will call you within a week before your surgery. Please have your list of medicines and medical history ready to discuss with the nurse.
Allow 20 minutes for the phone assessment.
The nurse will provide you with:
- Dietary instructions.
- What medicines to take the day of surgery.
- Any other information you need before your surgery.
The night before your surgery, do not drink any alcoholic beverages.
If you have not already done so, you may want to consider drafting an advance directive before your surgery or admission to the hospital.
An advance directive is a written document that expresses your wishes for medical care if you become incompetent or incapacitated.
- Living wills
- Health care agents
- Medical powers of attorney
Learn more about advance directives in UPMC's general patient resources section.
Top of page
Day of Surgery
Please review the following guidelines for your day of surgery at UPMC East:
- If your doctor or nurse instructed you to take a medicine, do so with a small sip of water.
- Shower or bathe with Hibiclens® or an antibacterial soap.
- Do not apply hair spray, scented body lotion, or perfume.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing; button-down shirts are best.
- Remove all body piercings.
- Do not wear nail polish or makeup.
- Avoid chewing gum or candy the day of surgery.
- Leave all valuables and jewelry — including watches, wedding rings, necklaces, and earrings — at home.
- If you have sleep apnea, bring your CPAP machine with you.
- If you wear dentures or a hearing aid, bring storage cases for them.
Please arrange for a responsible adult, over the age of 18, to:
- Accompany you to drive you home.
- Assist you at home for the first 24 hours after surgery.
Top of page