Is Erie Right for You and Your Family?
UPMC Hamot is located in the heart of Erie, Pennsylvania and overlooks Presque Isle Bay. As Pennsylvania’s fourth largest city, Erie exhibits urban appeal while maintaining a family atmosphere.
Erie has a wide selection of excellent public, private, and parochial schools, as well as four local colleges and universities. These all contribute to a warm and inviting community that offers a quality of life which is hard to find anywhere else.
Nature and Sporting Activities
There is something for every season in the Erie region.
The lush Presque Isle State Park features:
- Seven miles of beautiful sandy beaches
- A 13-mile paved multipurpose trail along the bayfront and lakeside
- The Tom Ridge Environmental Center
Lake Erie offers the perfect setting for boating, water skiing, sailing, and fishing in the summer and ice fishing and ice sailing in the winter. The spectacular foliage makes hiking through local trails in the fall especially breathtaking.
Erie's close proximity to the Allegheny Mountains also provides convenient access to destinations perfect for Alpine and Nordic skiing and snowboarding.
Erie is also home to its own minor league sports teams:
Cultural Activities in Erie
Erie offers many cultural activities, such as:
- A symphony orchestra
- Several ballet and dance companies
- A playhouse theatre
Other regional assets providing cultural activities for children and adults include:
Erie is also in close proximity to:
Learn More About Erie
Download the UPMC Hamot Internet Resources guide (PDF) to learn more about what Erie has to offer you and your family.
The guide includes current web links to sites related to:
- Local and regional assets — such as local attractions, community events, arts and entertainment, restaurants and shopping
- Local news and information
- Erie city government resources
- Erie County schools, colleges, and universities
- Cost-of-living comparisons
- Pennsylvania medical licensing