Vascular Screening at the Heart Institute of UPMC Hamot
Half of all fatal heart attacks are sudden and unexpected. Evidence of peripheral artery disease in the body is considered a warning sign of an increased risk for heart attack or stroke.
Vascular screenings can help indicate your risk for heart disease.
About Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
PAD is a narrowing of the blood vessels outside the heart and brain.
Peripheral arteries carry blood through the body to the head, abdomen, arms, and legs.
The buildup of plaque in the body’s arteries — also known as atherosclerosis — causes narrowing of the arteries that supply blood to the brain, heart, limbs, and other organs.
Who Should be Screened for PAD?
- Anyone over the age of 50
- Anyone 35 and older with a family history of:
- Sudden death
- Heart attack
- Bypass surgery
- Adults with known risk factors:
- Family history of heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Smoking history
What to Expect During a Vascular Screening
A vascular screening — also known as a cardiovascular profile — takes about 30 minutes to perform and includes three main tests.
- Ankle-brachial index (ABI) screening: Blood pressure readings in both arms and ankles and an ultrasound of the arteries in the ankle.
- Carotid artery screening: An ultrasound imaging of the arteries in the neck.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening: An ultrasound of the abdominal aortic artery.
During the tests, the staff will provide you with immediate results and answer any questions you may have.
After the exam, we will send the final results directly to you. If you would like, we will also send the results to your family doctor for any possible follow-up care.
Schedule a Vascular Screening for PAD
The set of three screenings cost $100. Single screenings cost $40. Health insurance companies do not cover the cost of these screenings.
Schedule your vascular screening appointment online.
Or, call the Vascular Screening Department at the Heart Institute at UPMC Hamot at 814-877-5265 or 1-800-984-9113 ext. 5625.
Learn more about health screenings at UPMC Hamot.