Our Sports Medicine Experts at UPMC Hamot
The experts at UPMC Hamot Sports Medicine offer preventive, rehabilitative, and athletic training services throughout the Erie region.
Peter Grimaldi, PT, ATC
As the program director for UPMC Hamot Sports Medicine, Peter supervises a staff of 15 certified athletic trainers who provide onsite physical therapy for student athletes at 10 local school districts. He works directly with patients as a physical therapist.
For more than three decades, Peter’s clinical focus has been on sports and orthopaedic rehabilitation and education programs for injury prevention. He served on the sports medicine staff during Mercyhurst University’s first football season and has periodically been a member of the university’s adjunct faculty for more than 30 years.
Peter uses his own injury experience and recovery to help his patients return to active lifestyles, using both sports and general fitness in his physical therapy programs.
- Northeastern University ― physical therapy degree and athletic training certification, 1979
- Sports medicine/athletic training
- Orthopaedic physical therapy
Robert Deppen, PT, DPT, MS, ATC
Robert has been a physical therapist with UPMC Hamot Sports Medicine for more than 30 years. He focuses on exercise and manual therapy strategies as well as self-care and optimal body mechanics for healing.
In June 2015, Robert presented a research poster at the American Physical Therapy Association annual meeting. He was the lead lower extremity ortho instructor at Rocky Mountain University Doctoral Program in Physical Therapy in Provo, Utah for five years and has lectured on functional lower extremity rehabilitation throughout the United States. His seminar was featured at the APTA state annual meeting in Montana, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina.
The lead author for two journal publications and a chapter author in the Donatelli text “Sports Specific Rehabilitation,” Robert has also worked with four medical teams in Haiti and Mexico.
- University of Montana ― doctorate in physical therapy, 2015
- University of Pittsburgh ― master's degree in physical therapy, 1990
- Hahnemann University ― postgraduate degree in physical therapy, 1982
- Pennsylvania State University ― bachelor's degree in athletic training, 1981
- Physical therapy/orthopaedics
- Sports medicine/ athletic training
Andrew Hay, PT, DPT, OCS
Andrew joined the UPMC Hamot Sports Medicine staff in 2013. He received his doctorate degree in physical therapy from Slippery Rock University and is an Orthopaedic Certified Specialist by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties. Andrew completed his undergraduate training at Gannon University, where he majored in exercise science and played soccer for the Golden Knights.
Andrew uses his experience in physical therapy, exercise science, and athletics when working with recreational and competitive athletes to design comprehensive rehabilitation and injury prevention programs. He incorporates a variety of exercise as well as hands-on techniques to promote optimal recovery and improve functional performance. Andrew is a direct access licensed physical therapist and does not require a physician referral for most insurance.
- Slippery Rock University ― doctorate inphysical therapy, 2012
- Gannon University ― bachelor’s degree in exercise science, 2009
- Sports medicine
- Orthopaedic physical therapy
- Injury prevention
Primary Care Sports Medicine
Francis Foti II, DO
Dr. Foti earned his medical degree from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed his residency in family medicine at Washington Health System in Washington, Pennsylvania and also completed a fellowship in primary care sports medicine at Millcreek Community Hospital. Dr. Foti is board certified in family medicine with a subspecialty certification in sports medicine.
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - medical degree
- Washington Health System - family medicine residency
- Millcreek Community Hospital - primary care sports medicine
Certified Athletic Trainers
- Bob Barton, ATC, Ft. LeBoeuf High School
- Derek Chew, ATC, Harbor Creek High School
- Jessica Koval, ATC, Central Tech High School
- Lynn Chrisman, ATC, East High School
- Ronald Demchak, ATC, Iroquois High School
- Janele Wolbert, ATC, McDowell High School
- Sharon Dressler, ATC, Girard High School
- Paul Endres, ATC, McDowell High School
- Brian Friedrich, ATC, Seneca High School
- Megan Goodrich, ATC, Villa Maria Academy
- Derek Hornaman, ATC, Strong Vincent High School
- Ryan Ratkovsky, ATC, Cathedral Preparatory School
- Erin Terry, ATC, North East High School
- Julia Slepko, ATC
- Kathy Williams, ATC
- Eric Estes, ATC
- Angela Meserole, ATC
- Kaylaigh Wagner, ATC
UPMC Hamot Sports Medicine Office and Program Managers
- Judy Rush
- Peter Grimaldi, PT, ATC