Responsibilities and requirements of externs at UPMC Horizon are as follows:
- UPMC Horizon, Shenango Valley Campus
Required to attend all:
- Scheduled lectures
- Morning reports
- Tumor conferences
Asked to attend:
- Tumor conferences, every Thursday at 7 a.m., in Conference Room A
Required to attend, at the Shenango Valley facility:
- Block lectures on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month
- The M&M Conference on the fourth Wednesday of each month
Externs on rotation are to:
- Be excused by their supervisors to attend
- Complete H&P of their assigned service rotations
- To contact — upon completion of the H&P — either the resident or attending, in that order, to review and co-sign the H&P
General Surgery Rotations
- Call for externs on general surgery rotations will vary; they are usually done in one weekend.
- Following surgery rounds, the student is assigned to the intern (or resident) on call.
- If a surgery comes in, the student may return to the surgery service.