UPMC Horizon Honors Outstanding Nurses During Annual Awards Ceremony
Jessica Dudzenski Named Cameo of Caring
SHENANGO TOWNSHIP, May 7, 2013– As part of National Nurses Week, UPMC Horizon honored 10 exceptional nurses during its 15th annual Excellence in Practice Awards ceremony May 6 at Park Inn by Radisson, Shenango Township. During the ceremony, Jessica Dudzenski, RN, BSN, a nurse at UPMC Horizon Birth Place, was named this year's Cameos of Caring winner for UPMC Horizon.
In addition to Ms. Dudzenski, this year’s honorees included:
- Holly Bennett, RN, BSN, MSN, recovery room, Shenango Valley campus
- Pamela Blair, RN, UPMC Wound Healing Services at UPMC Horizon
- Tina Bour, RN, operating room, Shenango Valley campus
- Brittany Goodspeed, LPN, Birth Place
- Bobbi Macri, RN, Birth Place
- Angela Michalak, RN, ASN, Three West, Greenville campus
- Marsha Minarik, RN, BSN, Three MT, Greenville campus
- Nanette Peterman, RN, BSN, operating room, Greenville campus
- Yvonne Skrypski, RN, BSN, emergency department, Shenango Valley campus
In addition, Sharon Larson, RN, MSN, OCN, clinical director of accreditation, risk management, safety, oncology, and diabetic services, received the Legacy in Nursing award for her years of service at UPMC Horizon. Ms. Larson will retire next month.
Other awards given at the ceremony included Rookie of the Year to Trisha LaBruzzo, RN, the Friend of Nursing Award to Susan Renwick, health unit coordinator of Birth Place, and “Heart of Horizon” scholarships to Aleisha Fuentes, BSN, and Elaine Owen, BSN. The scholarship is designated for nurses enrolled in a baccalaureate or master's nursing program.
Melissa Kolin, vice president of patient care services and chief nursing officer at UPMC Horizon, also recognized four UPMC Horizon nurses who were nominated or received nursing awards at the corporate level this year. They are:
- Sarah Zets, who received the Rising Star in Clinical Practice award
- Peggy Peterson, who was nominated for the corporate Legacy of Nursing award
- Amy McConnaughey and Patty Weaver, who were both nominated for the Champion of Dignity and Respect award
A panel of UPMC Horizon nursing staff and managers selected the Excellence in Practice award recipients based on such traits as care delivery, quality of care and quality improvement, quality of nursing leadership and interdisciplinary relationships, teaching ability, and professional development.
Ms. Dudzenski will represent UPMC Horizon at the annual Cameos of Caring Awards Gala in Pittsburgh this fall. Established in 1999 by the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Cameos of Caring recognizes extraordinary nurses in the region. Cameos of Caring awardees demonstrate a commitment to consistent, clinical decision-making and excellence in nursing care, serve as effective advocates for patients and their families, encourage and motivate others, and are recognized as role models for the profession of nursing.