Healthy Community Outreach Education Program at Magee-Womens Hospital
Healthy Community is a community-based outreach education program affiliated with the Outpatient Clinic at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC. Healthy Community organizes and conducts a busy calendar of education programs, including presentations, classes, and discussions in partnership with community organizations to reach low income and urban women and their families.
Healthy Community goes on-site to community locations offering interactive health programs that are age-appropriate and suitable for group participation. Each program is designed to offer health information useful for women and their families. Our objective is to meet the needs of community members who might not otherwise have opportunities for health and wellness education due to income, transportation, or other barriers.
Partnering with Communities
Healthy Community teams with a wide range of community groups, such as local women’s organizations, educational institutions, businesses, community centers, and shelters. Programs are led by Healthy Community’s own outreach staff, including nurse educators, or by facilitators based at the community agencies. Classes are held on location at our partner agencies or at one of our neighborhood centers in Wilkinsburg, Clairton, Monroeville, and Mt. Oliver.
We actively engage and reach out to community groups as partners in education. Each program is designed for learning through participation in discussions, displays, and interactive presentations. Healthy Community provides the educational materials, instructors, and a flexible program format, which can be adapted to the needs of the requesting group. Community groups publicize the programs in their community and provide any audio/visual equipment.
Our partners are in the Pittsburgh and Allegheny County areas.
Programs: Presentations, Classes, Discussions
Healthy Community offers a broad range of monthly programs to meet the health awareness needs of lower income women and their families. Presentations can be one-time events or ongoing class series. With our community partners, we offer programs designed for adults, parents, children, and teens.
Topics cover subjects such as pregnancy, birth, parenting, home safety, nutrition, growing up for boys and girls, decision-making for teens, environmental health, and topics of interest to older adults. Our programs are always changing and evolving based on our community partnerships and community needs.
There are no class fees, but honoraria are gladly accepted to support our educational commitment to the community.
Healthy Community seeks grants throughout the year to assist in supporting our education programs.
Adult program sampling
- Breast Health
- Healthy Lifestyles for Women
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Label Reading and Smart Shopping
- Methods of Family Planning
- Sexually Transmitted Infections and Safer Sex
- Stress Management
Parent program sampling
- Childbirth Preparation
- Prenatal, Postpartum, and Early Parenting Support
- Confident Parents: Safe Baby, Safe Home
- Talking to Your Children About Growing Up
Children program sampling
- Babysitting Basics
- Brain Power
- Feeling Good Inside and Out
- Germ Attack
- Healthy Lifestyles for Kids
- Planet Future
Teen program sampling
- Healthy Relationships
- Making Smart Decisions
- Managing Everyday Stress
- Birth Control for the 21st Century
- Straight Talk About Body Image
- Straight Talk About Safer Sex
- Healthy Lifestyles for Teens
- Safer Choices for Looking Good
Family program sampling
- Baby On the Way
- Growing Up Together
- Sexual Responsibility for Daughters and Sons
Our partners list is always expanding. Here are just a few of our community partners:
- Allegheny County Department of Health and Human Services
- Pittsburgh Public Schools
- Women’s Center and Shelter
- Pennsylvania Organization of Women in Early Recovery
- Moms and Cops Collaborative
- Carlow University
- Arsenal Teen Center
- Hilltop Teens Knoxville
- Bethlehem Haven Homeless Shelter for Women
- San Jacinto Roman Catholic Church
- Mon Valley Providers Council
- Family Foundations East