Patient and Family Centered Care at Magee's Bone and Joint Center
Patient and Family Centered Care (PFCC) designs hospital resources and staff around the needs of patients and families, rather than around internal departments.
The main goal of PFCC is to provide care based on each patient’s needs and desires.
What does this mean for patients of the Bone and Joint Center at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC?
Patient-Centered Bone and Joint Care
PFCC for people with hip and knee arthritis focuses on the entire patient care experience.
The team at the Bone and Joint Center provides joint replacement patients and their families with:
- Complete care — before, during, and after surgery
- One-stop access to treatment for hip, knee, and joint pain
- A homey, relaxed setting to reduce anxiety and promote healing
This approach of viewing all bone and joint care through the eyes of patients and families helps improve:
- Quality of care
- Patient safety and outcomes
One-Stop Bone and Joint Treatment
The Bone and Joint Center at Magee aims to make the joint replacement process as easy as possible for patients and families.
The center includes doctors’ offices and a preoperative outpatient center on the hospital’s first floor. This makes access to treatment easier for people with joint pain or orthotics.
It also offers valet parking and a concierge service to help reduce delays for arrivals and discharges at the hospital's entrance.
A Relaxed Setting to Promote Healing
The Bone and Joint Center's inpatient unit reinforces the user-friendly theory of PFCC, featuring:
- Warm, home-like patient rooms and common areas
- A state-of-the-art fitness center to help patients rehab after knee or hip replacement surgery
- Other amenities for patients and families that promote wellness, healing, and comfort
Private Rooms and Other Patient- and Family-Centered Comforts
After joint replacement surgery, patients stay in the Bone and Joint Center's wellness unit.
Designed to provide a relaxed setting for patients and families, this inpatient unit includes:
- Large private rooms with Internet access
- A room service menu that patients can order from at any time
- A massage therapist for patients
- A family room, for patients and families, with friendly touches such as:
- Rocking chairs and couches
- A big-screen TV
- A massage chair
- A fully stocked refrigerator
Learn More About PFCC
To learn more about the practice of patient- and family-centered care, see: