Volunteering at UPMC McKeesport
As volunteers at UPMC McKeesport, you become part of the UPMC team to support our mission of offering:
- Quality patient care.
- Outstanding education of our future doctors, surgeons, and health care staff.
- Cutting-edge treatments through our biomedical research.
Perks of Volunteering
- Free parking
- Free meal voucher up to $5 on volunteer days
- Free smock
- Annual Holiday party
- Annual Volunteer Celebration luncheon
Other benefits include:
- Helping others
- Gaining worthwhile career experience
- Making lasting friendships
Volunteer Requirements at UPMC McKeesport
- Must be 14 years of age or older.
- Commitment of one day per week for four hours, 75 hours minimum.
- Attend orientation where a volunteer coordinator will match your interests and schedule with the hospital's needs.
- Submit required paperwork provided by Volunteer Coordinator.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
Volunteer Opportunities at UPMC McKeesport
See below for some of the ways you can volunteer to help patients, families, and UPMC staff.
Not all opportunities listed are available at all times. Opportunities will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
Clerical volunteers will be responsible for filing, organizing, and working on various projects throughout the hospital. There are various departments throughout the hospital that always need clerical help.
Nursing Unit Volunteers will assist in various ways including checking in on patients, restocking medical supplies, providing comfort items to families and patients, etc.
Volunteers provide patients with a friendly visit and escort them to physical therapy via wheelchair.
The prospective shadow is responsible for reaching out to the professional that they would like to shadow. Once an agreement has been made, please contact our Volunteer Services Office where you wish to shadow for the necessary shadowing paperwork.
You can complete multiple shadowing experiences during the semester, but cannot exceed the 10 day limit with any single professional. A separate set of paperwork needs to be completed for each experience. Along with the completed paperwork, a TB test and influenza vaccine are required (provided by UPMC).
Externships are for course credit. Once the externship has been arranged through your school, please contact our Volunteer Services Office for the required paperwork.
We Accept Donated Items
For our patients and their families to use while in the hospital, we always accept new or gently used:
- Twiddlemuffs made for patients, if volunteers knit or crochet
Apply to volunteer at UPMC McKeesport.