Emergency Services at UPMC McKeesport
The Emergency Department at UPMC McKeesport provides complete care to people from the Mon Valley region.
At UPMC McKeesport, our doctors consistently provide patients with the best possible emergency care--no matter the time of day, or the complexity of illness or injury.
Our Emergency Department offers state-of-the-art technology and features, including:
- Four-bed fast track area for treatment of minor injuries and illnesses.
- 17 acute care rooms, including four-room senior care area (see below)
- A behavioral health area with specialized rooms
- An isolation room
- A cardiac trauma room
Senior Care Area
Our goal was to create a safer and calmer atmosphere for older patients — who represent six out of 10 of the hospital’s admissions. Located away from the hustle and bustle of the main treatment area, the senior care ED has its own nurse’s station staffed by nurses specially trained in elder care.
UPMC McKeesport’s senior care ED is equipped with the following specialized features:
- Non-skid, non-glare flooring to reduce the chance of slipping and handrails for secure footing
- Paint colors that provide better contrast and depth perception
- Signage with larger font sizes for improved legibility
- Lights that can be dimmed — an important feature for elderly patients who can often become confused in general emergency rooms that are brightly lit
- Lower beds that help reduce the risk of falls
- Call buttons that are easier to find