How To Apply For The Internal Medicine Residency Program
Use ERAS® (the Electronic Residency Application Service) to submit an application, along with the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- Dean’s letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- USMLE Step 1 and Step 2CK score reports with a minimum 3 digit score of 240 or COMLEX Step 1 and Step 2 score report with a minimum 2 digit score of 80.
- For international graduates:
- US clinical experience (externships or observerships) are required at the time of application.
- Medical school graduation date must be within six years of residency application.
- All USMLE exams must be passed on the first attempt.
- ECFMG certification must be obtained before January 15 of the application year.
- H1B and J1 visas are sponsored by the program on an as needed basis.
All interviews of invited candidates will be scheduled via Interview Broker. Please ensure that your email and/or mobile devices are compatible with the interviewbroker.com software.
|| Residents receive 15 weekdays of vacation, split into 3 five-day periods. The Department of Medicine also may offer a holiday schedule in late December and early January, which would entail additional days off.|
|| Residents receive a meal card with $1600 preloaded to utilize in the UPMC Mercy Cafeteria and the 1847 Café. |
|| Residents receive free parking in the lot across from the Department of Emergency Medicine. In addition, the Department of Medicine will assist in offsetting parking fees incurred during off-site experiences. |
Residents are provided with UPMC Advantage HMO health insurance (with basic dental and vision coverage). Enhanced dental and vision coverage is available for residents and their eligible dependents for an additional fee.
Residents are provided with Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, and Medical Malpractice insurance. For questions on this coverage please contact your Program Coordinator.
||PGY2 and 3 residents are eligible for $1000/year in reimbursement for educational expenses, subject to content approval by the Program Director. Funds remaining from your PGY2 year may be rolled over to your PGY3 year.|
|Presentation and Conference Expenses
||Residents are encouraged to participate in external scholarly activity (e.g. presentation at a recognized medical conference of abstracts and posters pertaining to research). Travel expenses may be reimbursed up to $750 per presentation, pending approval by the Program Director. |
Eligible excused absences include:
- Death of an immediate family member: 3 days, or as otherwise offered
- USMLE Step III Exam: 2 days (not eligible during Floor Medicine, Night, or CCM blocks)
- Maternity Leave: Per UPMC FMLA guidelines (not to exceed 6 weeks)
- Paternity Leave: 2 days
- Sickness: up to 5 days; a physician’s note may be required per hospital policies (beyond 5 total days, training may be extended, or the resident may utilize existing vacation time)
- Interviews: up to 4 days per PGY2 and PGY3 year, with approval; (not eligible during GIM, Night, or CCM blocks) ; Additional interview time requires use of personal days.
||The Department of Medicine provides each incoming PGY2 resident with the newest version of the MKSAP.|
||Residents receive two lab coats at the start of their PGY1 year. One additional coat is provided upon resident request in the first three months of each additional year of training.|
||Residents will be provided with access to 2 pairs of scrubs. These scrubs are to be returned to the ScrubEx machine when soiled, at which point the resident will have access to a clean pair of scrubs. |
||Business attire is expected, in addition to wearing your lab coat with your UPMC Mercy identification badge visible at all times. |
||Special community discounts are available to UPMC employees.|
||Residents may utilize the fitness area on the 5th floor of the Mercy Professional Office Building at no cost. |
||Moonlighting is permitted only with approval by the Program Director and after obtaining appropriate licensure. |