Transitional Year Residency Curriculum*
Thirteen (13) 4-week Blocks/year
|General Internal Medicine**
|Internal Medicine Selective**
|Critical Care Medicine
*Curriculum is subject to change.
**If you participate in four (4) General Internal Medicine rotations, an Internal Medicine Selective is not a requirement.
A Wide Range of Electives
Among the electives offered to transitional year residents are:
- Emergency medicine
- Internal medicine subspecialty electives/selectives:
- Ambulatory Medicine
- Geriatrics (combined with Palliative Care)
- Infectious disease
- Pulmonary disease
- Psychiatric Inpatient Medicine (combined with Primary Care)
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Note for residents going into radiology: Per national radiology residency accreditation requirements, transitional year rotations in diagnostic radiology must occur in radiology departments with an ACGME accredited diagnostic radiology residency program. UPMC Mercy is an affiliate site of UPMC’s radiology program, therefore our radiology electives meet this requirement.
- Cardiovascular surgery
- General surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Trauma/burn surgery