Esophageal and Lung Surgery Center at UPMC Mercy
Most people take for granted the ability to swallow, digest, and breathe with ease. But if you are among the millions with a disorder of the esophagus or lungs, you know how difficult these simple acts can be. You can depend on UPMC Mercy’s Esophageal and Lung Surgery Center to offer you expert care, including:
- Comprehensive treatment for benign and malignant diseases of the esophagus and lungs, from early detection to drug therapies, surgery, and long-term management of advanced conditions
- Cutting-edge screening and diagnostic technology
- Minimally invasive and robotic-assisted surgical procedures that typically result in smaller incisions, shorter hospital stays, less pain, and better outcomes
- Convenient, all-onsite testing, treatment, and surgical services, including cancer care delivered in partnership with UPMC CancerCenter
- A customized treatment plan based on each patient’s specific needs
The UPMC Mercy Difference
The Esophageal and Lung Surgery Center is led by Omar Awais, DO, UPMC Mercy’s chief of thoracic surgery and a board-certified thoracic surgeon. Dr. Awais is a nationally recognized authority on both complex reoperative esophageal surgeries and the use of navigational bronchoscopy, an innovative tool to biopsy lung nodules.
The Center is part of the UPMC Esophageal and Lung Surgery Institute, a leader in treating thoracic (chest) conditions of all kinds. This relationship gives UPMC Mercy patients access to added multispecialty experts, groundbreaking research, and innovative clinical trials.
If you have an advanced esophageal or lung condition, the Center offers expert care for difficult and hard-to-treat cases. You will also benefit from the Mercy tradition of compassionate and highly personalized care, focused on supporting you throughout every stage of treatment and recovery.
Esophageal Conditions We Treat
The esophagus is a muscular, tube-shaped organ that contracts to move food and water from the mouth to the stomach. Left untreated, esophageal problems can lead to more serious health issues and also can affect the lungs, ears, nose, and throat.
The majority of patients seeking care at UPMC Mercy’s Esophageal and Lung Surgery Center can be treated with expert medical therapy. For those patients who do need surgery, most procedures can be done using minimally invasive techniques.
We care for patients with these and other esophageal problems:
- Esophageal cancer
- Disorders of the esophagus
- Hiatal and paraesophageal hernias
- Reoperative esophageal surgery needs
Lung Conditions We Treat
The Center treats a wide range of lung problems, including:
- Lung cancer
- Lung nodules
- Benign lung diseases and disorders
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
We use navigational bronchoscopy, a state-of-the-art minimally invasive tool, to biopsy and diagnose lung cancers. Our treatments include the latest medical breakthroughs and best practices in care.
Other Conditions We Treat
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Thymus cancer and tumors (thymic neoplasms); the thymus, located just the heart, plays an important role in the body’s immune system
- Disorders of the mediastinum (the area between the lungs)
- Disorders of the diaphragm
To Make an Appointment
Patients or doctors can schedule an appointment or seek a second opinion by calling 412-232-5665 or 412-232-5524.