UPMC Passavant Children's House Enrollment Policy
The UPMC Passavant Children’s House provides child care and early childhood programming for children who are 6 weeks through 12 years old. Enrollment is open to children of UPMC employees and, as space allows, the general community. Programming is based upon developmentally appropriate practices as defined by the Keystone STARS and Pennsylvania Early Learning Standards.
UPMC Passavant Children's House offers several programs, including:
Each year, the Children’s House must maintain the operating license issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. The main center and the space used for the school-age Summer Program operate under two separate licenses.
The Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten programs are also licensed as private academic schools through the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
In addition to licensing, the center participates in the Pennsylvania statewide system for recognizing quality in child care, called the Keystone STARS program.
Currently, the Children’s House is rated as a four-star center, the highest rating.
- Children must be between 6 weeks and 5 years old for the Child Care Program.
- Children for the Kindergarten Program must turn 5 by Sept. 1 of the year they are entering the program. Children for the Pre-Kindergarten Program must turn 4 by Sept. 1 of the year they are entering the program.
- Children enrolling in the Summer Program must have at least completed kindergarten.
- Enrollment will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, with two exceptions: the siblings of already enrolled children, and the children whose parents’ positions have been deemed difficult to recruit by the UPMC Passavant Human Resources Department.
- Children may be placed on the waiting list prior to their birth.
Types of Enrollment
Enrollment will fall under one of the following categories:
- Full-time: five days per week, five or more hours per day.
- Part-time:12 days per month or 102 hours, 10 days per month or 85 hours, eight days per month or 68 hours.
- Casual: per-hour basis, as space allows.
Part-time care is translated into hours of care per month so that parents with varying work schedules may be accommodated.
Casual enrollment allows parents to utilize the center less than 68 hours per month without a standing tuition contract. Parents request space according to their needs and may bring their child as long as space is available, as determined by the director. If space is not available, the parent is informed prior to the requested date.
Parents are billed according the number of hours used and the child’s age.