Stroke Services at UPMC Passavant
Did you know:
- Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability?
- Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S.?
- You lose 1.9 million brain cells every minute during a stroke?
Because stroke is a medical emergency, early recognition and treatment are critical. Saving valuable time helps to minimize brain damage and potential complications. At UPMC Passavant, you get the stroke treatment you need close to home.
Why Choose UPMC Passavant?
UPMC Passavant was named a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. As a Primary Stroke Center, UPMC Passavant offers its patients the following benefits:
- An acute stroke team available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, that includes physicians and nurses experienced in diagnosing and treating cerebrovascular disease
- Written protocols to streamline and accelerate the diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients
- Coordination of emergency medical service personnel with emergency department staff
- A designated stroke unit
- Inpatient rehabilitation services for physical, occupational, and speech therapies
- Participation in a national stroke quality improvement program
- Continuing stroke education
- Patient and family education on stroke recovery
UPMC Passavant received the Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association. Most hospitals that implement Get With The Guidelines® realize measurable results, including improved patient outcomes and fewer recurring events. It’s a difference that shows in the lives of patients and their families and in the satisfaction felt by caregivers empowered to do their best.
UPMC Stroke Telemedicine Program
The UPMC Stroke Telemedicine Program allows physicians at UPMC Passavant to have 24-hour-a-day access to specialists at the UPMC Stroke Institute in Pittsburgh, bringing you a higher level of stroke treatment and care.
Our Multidisciplinary Team
At UPMC Passavant, our specialists work together to diagnose and determine the most appropriate stroke treatment. Our team includes specialists in:
- Emergency medicine
- Physical medicine
Our team of experts use advance therapies to treat stroke with the goal of restoring cognitive and physical function.
Learn More About Strokes
Visit the UPMC Stroke Institute website to learn more about the causes, risk factors, and warning signs of strokes.
UPMC Patient Education Materials