Volunteering at UPMC Presbyterian and UPMC Montefiore
When you volunteer at UPMC Presbyterian or UPMC Montefiore, you join over 400 community members who donate their time and talents.
As volunteers, you become part of the UPMC team to support our mission of offering:
- Quality patient care.
- Outstanding education of our future doctors, surgeons, and health care staff.
- Cutting-edge treatments through our biomedical research.
Perks of Volunteering
As a UPMC volunteer, you receive:
- Free parking
- Free bus tickets
- Free meal voucher up to $5 on volunteer days
- Continuing ed. classes and meetings
Other benefits include:
- Helping others
- Gaining worthwhile career experience
- Making lasting friendships
Volunteer Requirements at UPMC Presbyterian/Montefiore
To volunteer at UPMC Presbyterian or UPMC Montefiore, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Commit to 3-4 hours per week for 3 months in a row.
- Attend orientation where a volunteer coordinator will match your interests and schedule with the hospital's needs.
- Submit all required paperwork.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
Volunteer Opportunities at UPMC Presbyterian/Montefiore
See below for some of the ways you can volunteer to help patients, families, and UPMC staff.
Not all opportunities listed are available at all times. Opportunities will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
Volunteers will help with:
- Other clerical projects throughout the hospital
There are many departments throughout UPMC Presbyterian and Montefiore that always need help.
Assist the staff by providing comfort measures for patients. Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, stocking supplies and other various tasks.
Emotional and spiritual support
Opportunities range from working in the Volunteer Office to becoming part of:
- NODA (No One Dies Alone)
- Our Eucharist Minister program
ICU Waiting Room Help
Volunteers act as a liaison between ICU staff and a patient's loved ones in the waiting room.
Volunteers can join our Healing Notes program where they play music for patients, families, and hospital staff.
Volunteers help nursing unit staff in a range of ways such as:
- Checking in on patients
- Restocking medical supplies
- Providing comfort items to families and patients
Trained and certified pet therapy dogs and their owners visit patients and staff throughout UPMC Presbyterian and Montefiore. The dogs always bring smiles to all who see them!
People who have an interest in a health care career can volunteer to shadow a hospital staff member.
To take part in job shadowing at UPMC Presbyterian/Montefiore:
- Reach out to the professional you would like to shadow.
- Once you and your shadowee make an agreement, contact our Volunteer Services Office.
- Complete all required shadowing paperwork.
- Get a TB test and flu shot provided by UPMC for free.
You can shadown more than one staff member during the semester, but you can't exceed the 10-day limit shadowing the same person. You'll need to submit a separate set of paperwork for each job shadowing experience.
Externships are for course credit. Once you arrange the externship through your school, contact our Volunteer Services Office for the required paperwork.
We Accept Donated Items
For our patients and their families to use while in the hospital, we always accept new or gently used:
- Board games
Apply to volunteer at UPMC Presbyterian/Montefiore.