Volunteering at UPMC Shadyside
As volunteers at UPMC Shadyside, you become part of the UPMC team to support our mission of offering:
- Quality patient care.
- Outstanding education of our future doctors, surgeons, and health care staff.
- Cutting-edge treatments through our biomedical research.
Perks of Volunteering
- Free parking
- Free meal voucher up to $6 on volunteer days
Other benefits include:
- Helping others
- Gaining worthwhile career experience
- Making lasting friendships
Volunteer Requirements at UPMC Shadyside
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Attend orientation where a volunteer coordinator will match your interests and schedule with the hospital's needs.
- Submit required paperwork provided by Volunteer Coordinator.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
Volunteer Opportunities at UPMC Shadyside
See below for some of the ways you can volunteer to help patients, families, and UPMC staff.
Not all opportunities listed are available at all times. Opportunities will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
Clerical volunteers will be responsible for filing, organizing, and working on various projects throughout the hospital. There are various departments throughout the hospital that always need clerical help.
Volunteers wash patients' hair.
Assist the staff by providing comfort for patients. Responsibilities may also include cleaning and sanitizing equipment, stocking supplies, and other various tasks.
Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP)
The HELP Program itself is an academically oriented program intended for undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. It is designed to prevent delirium in hospitalized patients age 70 and older.
Learn more about the Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP).
Volunteers can becoming a part of our Healing Notes program where they can play music for patients, families, and staff throughout our facilities.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist the medical staff in various ways including restocking medical supplies, filling water pitchers, emptying linen carts, and visiting with patients and their families.
Physical Therapy Escort
If you want to combine exercise with community service, become a physical therapy volunteer. Escorts take patients to therapy via wheelchair. These volunteers are able to provide a friendly visit with patients on the way to therapy.
We Accept Donated Items
For our patients and their families to use while in the hospital, we always accept new or gently used:
- Puzzle books
- Adult coloring books and colored pencils
- Playing cards
- Word searches
- And more!
Apply to volunteer at UPMC Shadyside.