Volunteer at UPMC St. Margaret
At UPMC St. Margaret, volunteers give the gifts of their caring and time. Because of their generosity, volunteers enable better service to be provided to our patients and visitors, and allow the hospital to better fulfill its mission 365 days a year.
Each year, a recognition ceremony and dinner is held to thank the volunteers who have given of themselves to better our hospital and community.
UPMC St. Margaret has one of the finest volunteer departments in Pittsburgh.
- We have more than 300 adult and teen volunteers assisting staff throughout the hospital, and more than 600 community volunteers.
- People volunteer 365 days a year.
- Whether you are a retiree, a stay-at-home mom, an energetic teen, or a student that needs health care career exploration, you can make a meaningful difference to the patients, their families, and the staff at UPMC St. Margaret through volunteering.
Volunteers assist in many areas, including:
- Physical Therapy Escort
If you want to combine exercise with community service, become a physical therapy volunteer. Escorts take patients to therapy via wheelchair. These volunteers are able to provide a friendly visit with patients on the way to therapy.
- Food and Nutrition Volunteer
Volunteers are needed to distribute menus and help patients fill out their menu choices.
- ICU Waiting Room
Volunteers act as a liaison between the families in the waiting area and the ICU staff.
Many office settings request volunteer services. Whether or not you have computer skills, you can assist with clerical duties.
- Medical Arts Building Information Desk
- Magee-Womens Imaging Volunteer
Many other positions are available and you can be matched with a position that interests you.
How much time do I need to commit to volunteering?
Volunteer Services offers flexible scheduling. Volunteers typically contribute four hours once a week. Some people volunteer more and some less. We are happy to discuss positions that will match your interests and availability.
There are openings for day or evening positions. Ask about what positions are available during specific times.
What do I need to do to become a volunteer?
- Complete an application
- Submit two confidential references (PDF)
- Have an interview
- Attend orientation
- Have a PPD skin test (to check for tuberculosis)
- Start volunteering!