Prior to Surgery
- Testing ordered by your surgeon must be done in advance, either at UPMC St. Margaret or your physician’s office. Check with your insurance provider about where your tests can be performed. Laboratory testing may be scheduled within 90 days of your surgery.
UPMC St. Margaret Laboratory hours:
Monday through Friday: 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- For express lab registration, call 1-866-334-LABS (5227) Monday through Friday between
9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to schedule an appointment.
- History and physical exams may be scheduled within 30 days of your surgery by either calling your family doctor or the hospital’s Preoperative Testing line at 412-784-2216.
- If you need physical therapy visits for crutch training, schedule those visits in advance by calling Centers for Rehab Services at 412-781-0602.
- If you had pretesting done by your physician, have results faxed to your surgeon’s office one week prior to your surgery.
- Some medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements should be discontinued prior to surgery. Check with your surgeon.
- You will be contacted one to two days before your surgery with preoperative instructions. If you have any questions, call Pre-admission Testing at 412-784-4828.
Prepare your home for after surgery:
- Have laundry washed and put away, and have clean linens on the bed.
- Prepare and freeze meals.
- Complete yard work.
- Arrange for assistance with child or pet care.
- Remove any potential obstacles from your living space, such as throw rugs or electrical cords.