New Children’s Express Care Centers Offer Convenient, Immediate Access to Pediatric Expertise after Hours and On Weekends
PITTSBURGH, Sept. 2, 2010 – Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is opening two Express Care centers, in the North and South Hills, where children and teens can receive care after hours and on weekends for minor injuries and illnesses.
Children’s Express Care-Wexford (located at Children’s North) opens Tuesday, Sept. 7 and Children’s Express Care-Bethel Park (located at Children’s South) opens Tuesday, Oct. 5. The centers will be open from 5 to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from noon to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. No appointments are necessary and free parking is available at both locations.
“Express Care provides exclusively pediatric-focused care providers in offices that are specially designed for children,” said Raymond Pitetti, M.D., medical director of Children’s Express Care. “Our Express Care centers will be staffed by pediatricians, emergency medicine physicians, physician’s assistants and nurses who are specifically trained to care for kids, and they’ll be available evenings and weekends when pediatricians’ offices are closed but the injury or illness may not require emergency care.”
They will be available to treat:
- Animal bites
- Bronchitis, pneumonia and asthma attacks
- Colds, fever, flu and other viral illnesses
- Cuts, bumps, lacerations, abrasions and splinters
- Ear, throat and sinus infections
- Incisions and abscess drainage
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration
- Rashes, poison ivy and allergic reactions
- Simple fractures, twists, sprains, strains and dislocations
- Splinting or cyst removal
X-ray services, blood tests, urine and throat cultures, and urinalysis also will be offered at the centers.
If a child’s injury or illness requires more emergent care, Express Care patients can be fast tracked to the Emergency Department at Children’s Hospital’s main campus in Lawrenceville, or referred to pediatric specialists. If Express Care patients require follow-up care, they will be referred back to their own pediatricians along with an update of the outcome of the visit.
For more information, visit www.chp.edu/express.
Locations and contact information:
- Children’s Express Care-Wexford, Children’s North, 2599 Wexford-Bayne Road, Sewickley, PA 15143. Phone: (724) 933-3644
- Children’s Express Care-Bethel Park, Children’s South, 1300 Oxford Drive, Bethel Park, PA 15102. Phone: (412) 692-3145