Awards and Accolades: Pitt Schools of Dental Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy Announce Faculty, Staff and Student Achievements
PITTSBURGH, Aug. 2, 2011 – The faculty, staff and students of the University of Pittsburgh Schools of Dental Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy are often recognized by academic and scientific societies and other organizations for their achievements and leadership. Among those whose work has been acknowledged recently with awards and accolades are the following:
- Balwant N. Dixit, Ph.D., School of Pharmacy, chaired a panel on "Mental Illness and Substance Abuse in Indian Immigrants in North America" at the Bruhan Maharashtra Mandal Convention in Chicago in June.
- Mary Beth Happ, Ph.D., F.A.A.N., School of Nursing, was appointed to the UPMC Health System Chair in Nursing Science, one of the highest honors from the university.
- Donna Huryn, Ph.D., School of Pharmacy, has been selected as a Fellow of the American Chemical Society and will be honored at a special ceremony during the ACS National Meeting in Denver on Aug. 29.
- Melissa Somma McGivney, PharmD., F.C.C.P., School of Pharmacy, won the 2011 National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation’s community pharmacy faculty of the year award.
- Janice Pringle, Ph.D., School of Pharmacy, attended the Pharmacy Quality Alliance meeting in June in Washington, D.C., to give a presentation on the implementation of a program that is testing the impact of pharmacist screening and brief interventions on patient medication adherence across 120 Rite Aid stores in Pennsylvania.
- Kristine Schonder, PharmD., School of Pharmacy, was selected to be co-chair of the National Quality Forum Renal Endorsement Maintenance Steering Committee for End-Stage Renal Disease. The role of the committee is to evaluate measures for public reporting and quality improvement addressing quality of care for patients with kidney disease.
- Jennifer Seaman, B.S.N., R.N., School of Nursing, has received a $100,000 scholarship from the American Academy of Nursing to support her doctoral training and launch her career in academic geriatric nursing.
- Amy L. Seybert, PharmD., School of Pharmacy, was named a fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. She will be inducted during a special ceremony in Pittsburgh in October.
- Susan Skledar, R.Ph., M.P.H., F.A.S.H.P., School of Pharmacy, was awarded the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy Residency Preceptor of the Year award for 2010-2011. This award is given to a preceptor who has served as a role model, mentor and educator of pharmacy residents; she was recognized for her work with residents at the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC.
- Heiko Spallek, D.M.D., Ph.D., School of Dental Medicine, received $190,000 from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research to explore how to quickly and effectively share clinical research with practicing dentists.
- Xiang Qun Xie, Ph.D., M.B.A., School of Pharmacy, received a $412,711 grant from the National Institutes of Health to study a promising approach to design new drugs for hematopoietic stem cell therapies that may have a significant impact on future stem cell drug research and development.
- Yifei Zhang, B.S. , M.S., School of Pharmacy, has been awarded a two-year pre-doctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association to study how decreased fibrinolytic activity plays an important role in various types of lung injury.