MEDIA ADVISORY/PHOTO OPPORTUNITY:
Pittsburgh Steelers Charlie Batch and Ryan Mundy and UPMC Center for Inclusion Host Dignity and Respect Day for Youth
WHAT: Dignity and Respect Day for Youth
- Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback
- Ryan Mundy, Pittsburgh Steelers free safety
- Wende Torbert, program director, community, UPMC Center for Inclusion
- Dr. William Kinavey, Superintendent, Steel Valley School District
- Dr. Linda Hippert, executive director, Allegheny Intermediate Unit (AIU)
- Maureen Pedzwater, career coordinator South Fayette High School
- 4th and 5th grade students from 20 southwestern Pennsylvania schools
- Woodland Hills High School 10th grade autistic students
WHEN: 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Tuesday, Oct. 25
WHERE: Barrett Elementary School, part of the Steel Valley School District, 221 East 12th Ave., Homestead, PA 15120
WHY: The UPMC Center for Inclusion Dignity & Respect Campaign provides a positive way to counter the negativity of bullying as students and teachers will be invited to recite a promise, led by Charlie Batch, stating that they will treat everyone with dignity and respect.
During the event, students will interact with their peers throughout the region from their classrooms or auditoriums through the AIU’s Allegheny Connect System, which will allow the students to see and hear Charlie Batch and submit questions to him during the session.
Mr. Batch will focus on the value of creating teamwork toward the common goal of treating everyone with dignity and respect. His Best of the Batch Foundation was founded in 2000 and is based in his hometown of Homestead. The foundation offers programs that directly impact the youth of disadvantaged communities around Pittsburgh and throughout the country.
Mr. Mundy, who formerly played receiver and defensive back positions at the Woodland Hills High School, will take part in the event with 10th grade autistic students at his former alma mater.
Note to Media: Those wanting to cover the event should meet at the Barrett Elementary School main entrance at 9 a.m. to be escorted to the event location within the school. Contact Stephanie Stanley at 412-855-8690 or StanleySL@upmc.edu.